GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alpha Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 21:40:02 +0200
Asbjørn,
There are people joining the List on a daily basis. Some who will read your
message will therefore not necessarily have the background knowledge to know who
wrote what in the past. Since I wrote on this topic, I hope that you will clarify
some of the things you mentioned in your mail. I cannot remember discrediting or
insulting any manager. As far as Tombong is concerned, I was personally outraged
by the manner in which he tried to distort the facts, but most of all I was
outraged by his attempt to exonerate Jammeh by quoting all the things he did for
the Students Union. I found this logic flawed because as I mentioned in my mail I
know that Jammeh did not come into this world with all the wealth he has today.
Instead of  "giving" back the people crumbs of what belong to them and expect
allegiance from them, one should let them "earn" what is rightfully theirs in
dignity. To insinuate that  Mr. Y did something for a group of people and
therefore deserves absolute allegiance from them or should as a result be absolved
from wrong doing is to condone a key factor which contributes to Africa's
backwardness. It is precisely this patronage attitude which turns dignified people
into beggars and rulers into emperors whose rule shall not be questioned. So, if
Tombong had just provided information and leave it to people to judge, he would
not have received the reaction he got. He went beyond providing information. Of
course, I, like you, welcome information from him or anyone on the side of the
Government.

Alpha Robinson