GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 02:03:17 -0500
Hello, Jabou, et, al. I guess maybe my perspective on this is really
different!  But suffice it to say that no matter where in the opposition you
are, or which party you support, it's easy to talk of being "for the people"
and then once you get elected, be something quite different!

     So I'm not sure I trust *any* of the opposition!  PDOIS can educate the
people all the want, and that's a good hting.  However, when you're the
underdog, you can talk a good game and then once you actually get some kind
of power, then it goes to your head, and you forget about all of the stuff
you said before you get elected!

     And none of the current opposition parties, to my knowledge, have been
put in a position to prove anything they've been talking these past few
years, so personally, you don't know how they'd act once elected!

     Ignorant or not, it's up to the Gambian people to choose their destiny,
and whether they want a change or not.  Whatever "criterion" they're using
to judge, personally speaking, if you believe in the people's right to
choose, and democracy, and all of htat, then it's up to the people to
choose!  If these next elections are free, fair, no fraud, etc., and if the
people choose Jammeh, then they've made their choice, good or bad!

     And I'm not saying that you, necessarily have made this statement but
this mantra of "The Gambian people are just too stupid to know hwat's good
for them", mantra championed by some of the PDOIS / NADD supporters that
I've spoken to personally, really bothers me!  I, myself, and I'd venture to
say, most people, don't like to be told that they're stupid, and they don't
know what's good for htem, so PDOIS has to show them.  How could this not
lead to some kind of dictatorial tendencies?  "The people" don't know what
they're doing, so we have to help them.  "The people" don't know what's good
for them so we have to tell them what to do, etc.

      Whether UDP/NRP is full of "former PPP" people or not, or "disgruntled
businessmen" or not, does this matter?  Couldn't PDOIS be full of the same
people who became "enlightened"?  To me, the criterion is ideas, and that
the party proposes to do once elected.

     I don't care who's in the party or their reasons for joining, that's
left to them.  What I care about is how the party will govern once elected,
and if they'll be "for the people", once they actually get into power and
have the wherewithal to actually do something, instead of talking about
doing something.

     I also think there was, or is, a fundamental disagreement about what
NADD actually was supposed to be, whether or not the goal was to get Jammeh
out, or actually try something new.  What I mean, is was this an alliance of
opposition parites, or a new party altogether.  And that's what got them
into trouble with the by-elections last year.

     Anyway, there just was a fundamental difference about what NADD
actually wanted to be.

     And I personally, am not going to call people power-hungry and selfish,
etc., until I see the evidence to prove otherwise, and I've not seen that
evidence.

     I also wonder how much some really wanted a united opposition, as quick
as they are to spew such ugly things about the opposition party they *don't*
support.  And they seem to have as much hatred for the other opposition
parties as they do for Jammeh.  And yet we still say we want a united
opposition?  Do we really?

     I don't know.  Anyway, at this point, all of this is rhetoric, water
under the bridge.  The Gambian people have a choice to make on September
22nd, and assuming the elctions are free and fair, they will choose, and
they should be given that right, even if they choose someone that we may not
like.  And especially if we want to talk about democracy and the will of the
people, etc.

     Perhaps if the people beocme "politically mature", etc., then they will
choose something different for themselves, but people have to be allowed to
mature, and they have to be given the right to choose thier own destiny, and
not to have things hoisted on them by people who thing they are too stupid
to do it for themselves.

Ginny