GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 15:02:31 EDT
Dampha:
Please answer my question and stop beating around the bush.  I will repost it at the end of this piece.

To claim that I do not understand the difference is terribly weak of you.

I have provided the numbers to you showing that what I referred to was the 1997 parliamentary elections in the form an attached e-doc to show you the statistics I was referring to.  Isn't it dishonest of you to still say that these were the wrong figures?

I have gone to great lengths to explain that the by-elections were held because of the tragic car crash.  Yet you still say that I do not know the difference.  It is legitimate to compare the nos from  parliamentary/general/cabinet/house etc etc elections in 1997 to a by elections in 2001 because they both determine a parliamentary seat for a constituency.

For you to use a play in words to try to trip me is plain silly and dishonest of you.  The fundamentals are correct and this is what really counts.  I would never try to use word play and sill tricks in an objective debate of this magnitude.

Please see below to see how you have contradicted yourself and please answer the questions that matter.  Otherwsie, I will have no alternative but to continue this debate with Saihou Mballow.

Dampha:
The main cause you highlighted was vote-buying: plain and simple.  For you to deny this right now, is simply dishonest.  This has been the main theme of your argument from day one.  Look at what you wrote here:  I am convinced God was with me when I found this..  Are you a liar or did you just forget what you wrote? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

"My personal view is that the majorculprit here was vote-buying. You see, if one has that view, one will notthen turn around and blame the UDP leadership for not putting forward a goodmessage or not being up to the
job. That was where I was coming from when Isaid that we should not be too hard on UDP (in this instance). I do notbelieve it was their fault that they lost the election. This is my personalview. You may disagree with
that. Fine. I will try and convince you if I can, if not, I will just let
you be."