GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 16:56:31 -0400
Yusupha, I challenged you to quote me what I have been saying in numerous
postings. Vote-buying to explain away the 800 votes majority is different
from saying that vote-buying was the main cause of the election debacle. How
many times did I have to tell you that you have to distinguish people that
did not vote for UDP because they did not vote at all from people that voted
for APRC instead of UDP. The first set of Kiangkas that did not vote at all
could have eradicated the victory margin. I frankly cannot figure out how
can I simplify this further for you. Re-read what I wrote to Buharry and see
whether the causes of the debacle were restricted to vote-buying. Rather
than asking long-winded questions simply do like I just did with your
quotation on the elections dates and quote me the contradiction. Yes the
vote-buying could have avoided a UDP 'defeat'. But so could have a number of
other things that we were NOT talking about exhaustively, last month.

About the elections stats., if you had as much integrity as I thought, you
will respond directly to the issue that was raised. Did you noticed that I
asked you about a BYE-ELECTION in 1997? To avoid embarrassment about how I
pinned you down on analyzing wrong figures from different TYPES of elections
(general or bye), you distinguished a 1997 BYE-ELECTION from a 1996 GENERAL
ELECTION in an earlier posting. I noticed that right away. I just went on to
humor you. Asked you a direct question about a bye-election. I have not
opened the mail you sent me privately yet. When I do, I hope to find that
what obtained in Kiang was a bye-election as opposed to a general election.
I hope you realize where I am getting at and you know the difference between
the two types of elections.
KB