GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima chongan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:28:25 -0800
One nicething about democracy in general and freedom
of expression in particular is that it brings about
differing opinions.Where we agree to disagree!
However with regards to the Gambian Armed Forces, one
needs to be a bit careful because unlike other armies
in our subregion , we did not have a continuation
after independence. This is the most crucial
distinction and explains a lot of flaws particularly
with regards to civil and military relations. I agree
with Malick Kah up to a point yes the basis of a
military institution is loyalty but i stress loyalty
to the state but neither blind obedience nor executing
illegal orders.
Every army be it western, eastern or african would
normally have a doctrine. This would be the basis of
its training. IN the case of our country the army was
created initially on the basis of our confederal
obligations and certain targets and issues have to be
address. Which because of the urgency brought about
certain mistakes and flaws like any other projects.
Basically there was proper training to quite
acceptable  international military norms. Any officer
who had gone through the proper training that is going
through a military academy would have quite a wide
range of training not only learning to drill but by
the completion of training, he would not only be aware
of his constitutional obligations but some degree of
general experience.Then with this knowledge the Ncos
and Other ranks would logically be train accordingly.
However like any other institution there would be
ample
number of opportunists and people with ulterior
motives thereby breaching the trust repose on them.
Also inherent in any new armies there would always be
teething problems. This has been seen in other african
armies immediately after independence for example
rebellions of the Tanzanian army etc. Even if you look
far back the  european armies had the same problems.
There is certainly a rigid command system in the army
because of the nature of its missions which would
normally be about life and death situations. Its very
easy to talk about neo colonialism but we are not
robots and we can certainly discern between right and
wrong. The fundamental point is that treachery, breach
of confidence and trust plus unprincipled persons is
everywhere in society. Sadly those few elements seem
to tarnish the image of the innocent majority and this
applies across the board not only in the military.
I for one do accept collective responsibility there is
no point pointing fingers but we have to honestly post
portem the issue and thank God thats what we are doing
now. Not everybody who went to the army went there for
privileges or trying to defend a particular group but
most importantly is the esprit des corps.
Finally i will sign off with a quotation from a former
american admiral " while failures demands a lot of
questions,what, why ,how etc success like charity
covers a multitude of sins"
All the best to all
Regards Ebrima Ismaila Chongan