GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:24:27 -0500
Belated New Year greetings to all. Even though I have not participated in
the discussions of on the net of late due to time constraints, I have
followed much of it. From what I have been reading it seems that little
have changed from last year. Most of what I read is people whining and
whinging about this, that and everything else. It seems that nothing
positive ever happens in our country. When some mishap happens such as the
shortage of drugs here and there or some critical article is written about
the government they are blown very much out of proportion and literally
taken as the norm in the country; and yet, when something positive happens
it hardly makes the news.

I remember last year when The Gambia failed to make it into the list of
African countries that were identified to benefit from zero import tariffs
of goods exported to America, many a people on this list jubilated and
castigated the government for its short-comings; and yet when The Gambia
became the only African country to qualify for AGOA outright on its second
attempt, it was hardly mentioned. Is it because AGOA is not as important
today as it was last year?

A few weeks ago when President Jammeh went to Sudan, as the SOS for
agriculture to see for himself how Sudan, an arid war ravaged country has
been able to produce enough food for its people and event exporting produce
like sugar, thanks to an irrigation system widely acclaimed, he was
criticised for visiting the said country because of reports of the practice
of slavery in that country. The purpose of his visit was misrepresented to
the point that one can be forgiven for thinking that Jammeh himself
advocates slavery. The fact that similar practice close to home in
neighbouring Mauritania has been reported since time immemorial and yet we
have cordial relations with them just like other African countries does,
was never criticised. Are the Mauritanians, who are reported to be enslaved
in that country, not people enough?

More recently, when the government invited ex-ministers and other citizens
from different walks of life to discuss the plight of our economy and
country, people grumbled about it, not seeing the importance of consulting
with the citizenry of the country in times of hardship rather than
excluding them.

Again, for years we have seen how immigration into our poor country has
negatively impacted on Gambians in terms of pressure on housing and other
social welfare needs as well as significantly adding to our huge food
import bill. When the government deemed it fit to ask these foreigners to
also contribute to our meagre resources by way of increased taxes amounting
to less than $60.00 per annum, again people started whining about it.
Already The Gambia is reported to be one of the most densely populated
countries in Africa with very little natural resources and yet people want
to pretend that the steady migration of people into our country should not
be checked. It may be true that the increase in alien taxes may result in
hundreds of foreigners leaving, but this is nothing compared to the
hundreds of thousands that will stay.

As we grapple with our current problems and trying to find solutions to
them the last thing we want is the constant whining. Criticise all you want
but prescribe solutions as well. I know there are many who would disagree
with me but I know for a fact that despite all our hardships we are still
surviving and going about our business as usual. We’ve had a wonderful
Christmas, complete with the festivities that go with it and are looking
forward to Tobaski with equal hope.

Meanwhile the construction of road networks are continuing and President
Jammeh is touring the country. Contrary to earlier reports that he wouldn’t
do so because of the problems we’ve had marketing our groundnut produce, he
has told our farmers that government would provide them an additional one
hundred tractors as well as seeds for next year’s farming season.

Have a good day, Gassa.

--
There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve (Mike Leavitt)