GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 07:09:24 -0500
Comrades:

I want to thank Mr. Buhary Gassama for his
informative narration on circumcision.  I hope
he can provide us with similar illustration
on polygamy.

The first wife of a polygamist husband is
traumatized by rejection by her husband who
has suddenly found a new wife.  There are
times when the first wife is even divorced
out of no reason.

Another interesting thing is the favoritism
some husbands would give to the kids of their
"manyo."  This kind of home setting is destructive
in maintaining a solid family.  It is unfortunate
that some women are abused because of polygamy.

Since some readers are very concerned with
female circumcision, I hope to get some feedback
on polygamy.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh