GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:01:08 EST
Sorry for my balnks previous piece of email.

Ladies + Gents:
I think another angle to this story is that the nurse in question here (Mrs
Sonko) was perhaps trying to sensitize the Point and by extension, the
Gambian population about the range of what can be classified as mental
disorders, which encompasses benign paranoia to something as extreme as
paranoid schizophrenia.

The Point newspaper perhaps failed to represent her comments in their proper
context and thus the misunderstanding that was caused by the paper's article.
 Also, I do believe that mental disorders in one form or the other are on the
rise back home, especially in light of the major economic issues we face and
because of the dramatic increase in the consumption of hard drugs.

Maybe, Mrs Sonko does have a point after all even though she lacks the
wherewithal to give specific statistics on exactly what % of Gambians have
mental disorders.  In any case, we should pay heed to her assertion that
these disorders are on the rise and if possible, contribute towards a
campaign to help those afflicted.