GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 16:07:19 -0500
Karamba:
Your analysis is lucid but in the end provides no possible solutions
and/or suggestions to the political impasse at home.
"Constructive/Positive Engagement" is but one way of effectively
channeling our views, concerns and suggestions to Jammeh and his
Government.  We can not at this stage of the game afford not to be
directly involved in this political drama whose end may breed unwanted
suffering and further injury to our people.  Without being sensational,
if the current impasse is not resolved POLITICALLY, the consequences
could be dire. We must intervene now.  And if Jammeh and his Government
are not receptive, surely, we can come up with other strategies to have
out views heard. This way we are directly involved with Jammeh and/or
other opposition parties.  After all, the spirit of "healing and
reconciliation" or "constructive engagement" does not mean acceptance or
the end of constructive criticism of Jammeh's policies.  The Bantaba has
done that well.  Let us push the debate a notch higher.

I appreciate and respect your candor and thoughtfulness. Your silence
earlier on the issue, to me, suggested deliberation/rumination. Thanks.

Abdoulaye
No justice, no peace.