GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:29:33 +0000
Folks, this is yet another example why Gambians should quit corroborating
with Yaya.  To the relatives, friends, and sympathizers of the affected
individuals, we would not say we told you so, for that would be very
insensitive to your pain and concerns and we feel your pain.  What I can
advise is for you to join any group that is fighting to get rid of this
cancer from our country.  That is the way you turn the corner.  Just like
some of us were quiet all this while, now others are quiet when it's our
turn.  Folks, this cannot continue.  For those whose relations survived this
round, be on the lookout, for you may get a visit when you least expect it.

Folks, the morale of the story is that we need to stop the way we treat each
other and speak out in the face of tyranny regardless of whom is affected at
all times.  We have seen folks come out and call for a revolution in the
Gambia when this one is shot or that one is tortured, or another is whisked
away.  However, the moment normalcy resets, then the criminals in the Gambia
becomes Kebba, or Joe's, or another's issue.  At that point, we are the ones
who have time to waste; the jealous type, etc.  Just like we say in Gambia,
in the environment that Yaya created, "Gaina Essley Fi Am, Du Gaina
Maatileh" (newest tragedy, and not the most painful) is the only game in
town.  Thus, we all need to speak up at all times and we cannot keep mute.
Join any progressive movement if you believe that Yaya is bad news for
Gambia.  Where are all the folks that were illegally detained, shot,
tortured, fired, beaten to a pulp, etc,?  They have left us to hang while
they attend to more important business.  Is that normal?  Why can't they
join the fight that was fought in their absence?  I know this will not sit
well with a lot of folks, but we are going to be frank with each other and
anything less is unacceptable.  This struggle is not going to be fought by
none other than you I.  Please read on.

Arrests Attend to Weekend Sacking Spree

The Independent (Banjul)

October 18, 2004
Posted to the web October 26, 2004

Ahmed Carayol
Banjul

Jasseh, Deen, Sylva Detained

A series of weekend arrests has attended to the latest sacking spree in the
civil service with five public servants given their dismissal notices, among
them Baboucarr Blaise Jagne, (Foreign Affairs Secretary), Adama Deen, (GPA
managing director), Andrew Sylva, (SSHFC, managing director), Matarr Bojang
alias Doctor, (NIA Liaison Officer in Guinea-Bissau), and Kebba Kinteh,
(Administrative Secretary (APRC). As at press time Saturday Adama Deen and
Andrew Sylva were detained at the Serious Crime Unit. Sylva was transported
from the Mile Two Central Prisons to the Serious Crimes Unit in the wake of
his dismissal from the SSHFC. As at Saturday it was not clear whether they
were granted bail.

Meanwhile the Director of Immigration Tamsir Jasseh, was also arrested and
detained at the Serious Crime Unit for reasons, which were still sketchy as
we went to press.

Adama Deen was succeeded by former Managing Director of the Asset Management
Recovery Corporation Momodou Lamin Gibba who is the subject of a probe into
some unaccounted properties sold between 1994 to date. A replacement for the
SSHFC directorship in the wake of Sylva's sacking was yet to be announced.
Mr. Sylva's traveling documents were allegedly taken from him.

The spate of dismissals began with Blaise Jagne's exit. Seedy Sanneh has
replaced him formerly with the African Development Bank and the UNDP.

Relevant Links

West Africa
Gambia
Crime and Corruption
Legal and Judicial Affairs

Kebba Kinteh the Administrative Secretary at the APRC Secretariat was also
dismissed.

According to Mr. Kinteh he was telephoned earlier by Edward Singhateh, SOS
for Presidential Affairs and told to meet him at his office in Banjul on
Thursday morning. On arrival he was informed of the decision to remove him
with immediate effect and instructed to hand over to Antouman Saho, a
retired Army Officer who served as Ambassador to Sierra Leone, Senegal and
Guinea Bissau. Meanwhile reports suggest that Matarr Bojang's dismissal
stemmed from professional misconduct. He was the NIA's liaison officer in
Bissau.