GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:38:01 EDT
Yus,

Let me me briefly touch on the significant part of your post. In your defense of Ngum you wrote:

"Ous's sentence hich called Chongan a worst monster is very subjective.  Ous
said and I quote:

"**ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT YOU WERE A WORST MONSTER DURING YOUR YEARS IN UNIFORM**"
Now please tell me brother, where did you get the rationale to say this:

". When Ngum enumerated all his charges against Chongan, he concluded by
saying that Chongan is a "worst monster" than those who ACTUALLY TORTURED him
and else!"

If you read correctly and between the lines of Ngum's sentence that i have highlighted above, you will observe that he was making a TACIT COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS of Chongan and those who illegally captured him and subsequently tortured him. Thus Ngum concluded that he [Chongan] "is a worst monster during your years in office". There is absolutely nothing subjective about this. Ngum clearly had in mind a juxtaposition of what he alleged to be Chongan's "crimes" and those carried out against him. Now, tell whether this is a fair statement and whether it augurs well for a decent public discourse to make such outrageous and unsubstantiated character assassinations as Ngum did.

I hope the workload eventually eases and we get to see you take on this and else.

All the best,

Hamjatta Kanteh