GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abou Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 06:45:47 PDT
Gambia L,

National issues are surely important things to deal with. But the issue of
appointment of the new Ambassadors is creating a lot of unecessary verbal
confrontation. Ofcourse, opinions are indispensable features of a democratic
society, but they should be within the bowels of objectivity and sanity.

I must admit that I am utterly disappointed with Ebrima Ceeesay, who is
apparently an experienced journalist. But if his latest comments on Gambia-l
are anything to go by, he needs to really get back to his notes on
journalism.

Ebrima intimated in his piece on the Ambassadors that Essa Sey is not
experienced enough to be in France.Personally, I've known Essa for  twenty
years and I can conveniently say that he is a mature, responsible,competent
and objective fellow who has served his country in various domains.He was a
soldier with the confederal army for years before finally calling it a quit
and going ahead with studies. This took him to France, where he excelled as
a student and was later to be posted there as Deputy Ambassador.He had
earlier had a remarkable stint with the foreign ministry before the army
took over.

Essa Sey was never a Deputy Permanent Secretary as Ebrima Ceesay erroneously
reported. Rather it is Essa Khan who is the DPS at Defence and infact
happens to come from the same home town as Essa Sey(KUNTAYA) Mr Sey, who is
an erudite poet and accomplish diplomat is currently posted at the Gambia's
permanent mission in New York.What other qualifications should Mr Sey
possess besides his excellent academic records, honest values and love for
his country?
After all what does the Gambia get from France besides dubious aid packages
with strings attached. Or should we apply for assimilation?

Ebrima, please be objective and do not bore and confuse Gambia-L with loose
facts and myopic sources, who are bent to cannibalise the Gambian society.
Although Tombong is usually a Government mouthpiece, his response was more
than adequate.

Abou Jeng