GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 02:06:17 -0600
Wow, I think I should go back and read the book 1984 by George Orwell!

     What is interesting to me is that while many of us are fighting for
human rights, democracy, and the rule of law in Africa and The Gambia, in
particular, those very rights seem to be getting eroded in Europe and
America.  Why should African countries be pressed to improve their human
rights records, when all they need to do is look at what America, for
example, is doing in Guantanimo Bay and Iraq?  It's funny how America and
Europe talk about human rights and democracy, but then, they themselves
don't practice it.  They see nothing wrong with infringing on people's
rights and privacy and abusing people, even, in the name of fighting
terrorism.  And then they want to say something to African countries?

     Why should people like Yahya Jammeh be pushed into improving his human
rights record in The Gambia, when he can use the US as an excuse, or a
reason not to?  Like, he can say, "Well, look at what the US is doing"?  I
mean, doesn't the "West" hold themselves up as the standard for
"civilization" and all the "good things" that entails?

     And yet now, it seems they also want to turn around and oppress their
own people, and also anyone who comes there who is not a citizen?

     I'm not saying that African countries shouldn't improve on their
records, I'm just saying that I think it's sort of hypcritical for countries
who want to trample on the rights of thier own people, to then turn around
and dictate that other countries should give their people more rights and
freedomes.

     Anyway, just some thoughts.  We really do live in a sad world.  I'm not
sure what those 9/11 terrorists were thinking, because what they did was
sure make life worse for everyone, and they're dead now, so they don't have
to suffer the consequence of their horrible actions, so how convenient for
them to do what they did.  That is, if you believe they actually did it, and
that's a whole toher can of worms I'm too tired to open up now.

Ginny

Visit my blog at:

http://GinnysThoughts.blogspot.com/

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい