GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:54:28 -0500
The jubilation being made from the APRC camp about the acquisition of a
'new' generator is shameful, to describe it modestly.

It is indeed sad how most African governments will never cease to consider
any developmental matter as a favor that is being rendered to their
citizens.  Otherwise, how can the unofficial APRC spokesmen on this list
bombard us with incessant messages about a generator that is intended to
boost up electricity supply in The Gambia when none of them as far as I can
recall has openly condemned the human rights atrocities of the government
they support.  How can someone such as Mr. Tombong Saidy who allegedly
castigated corrupt PPP politicians in the heyday of his youth now keep mute
about the murder of Koro Ceesay, Sadibou, Hydara, the military officers
slaughtered in November 1995 and most recently the cold killing and maiming
of innocent school children?

If next we hear President Jammeh dishing out rice to poor Gambian farmers
let's not be surprised.  These are all electioneering tactics to win votes.
I have said here before that the method used by such cliff-hanging
governments is subtle, but effective: reduce the people to beggars, wait
until your elections are round the corner then gleefully start dishing them
half-hearted projects supported by loans.

Is the APRC considering reducing poverty through sensible economic programs?
  How successfully have they alleviated poverty since the AFPRC/APRC came to
power in 1994? "Oh, we have a new airport, new schools, new hospitals and
the members of our executive live in mansions seized from the PPP
government," they would say.

How can a farmer who does not even make 2000 dalasi (eqv. $129.03) for the
entire year afford to pay the exorbitant NAWEC bills?  How can a civil
servant who depends on a 1000 dalasi monthly salary (I'm being generous)
afford to pay rent, buy food, buy clothing, pay utility bills and school
fees, etc. How long can such people manage to keep their good health and
sanity?  Sometimes I imagine seeing a smirk on the faces of those who tout
the so-called achievements of the APRC government, the same wicked smile and
arrogance I used to see on the faces of corrupt PPP stalwarts.

It is unfortunate that Africa's economic death is being hastened by her very
children; those who often parade themselves as saviors of the people.

Hamadi