GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 21:23:24 EST
Members/Folks,
    in a posting dated 07/01/00, I wrote that "the same shit we were putting
up with Jawara is the same shit we keep getting from Jammeh."
    I would like to apologise unreservedly for using the uncouth and indecent
words "shit" in my correspondence with my learned friend Halifa. That choice
of word is inexcusable and indefensible. I accept the charge of indecent use
of language in a forum for civilised and decent folks with great remorse. I
hope I'm forgiven for my indecent and uncouth choice of words/language.
    However, I make no apologies for taking Halifa to task. I believe it is
my civic duty to challenge him on what I believe is a great folly on his and
his colleagues part by lending credence to a process that from the onset was
flawed and designed wholly for one purpose: that of legitimising the illegal.
A flawed process that gave birth to a fundamentally flawed document like the
1997 constitution that Halifa is so stuffily reverential of and goes to great
lengths to argue that it was the best we could get out the situation. It was
a process that was contrary to every principle that Halifa et al. for when I
came to know of them way back. I subjected Halifa to the most relentless,
passionate and witty (although sometimes bordering on sarcasm and cynicism; a
dose of which can do some health to conversations) forensic scrutiny on their
role during the transition than I believe anyone has yet done so far.
    Homer in his Iliad carefully noted that "after the event, even the fool
is wise." I believe that after this exercise we would all be the richer and
wiser for it as Halifa himself acknowledged.
I salute you all and wish you all Eid Mubarak.
Hamjatta Kanteh
hkanteh