GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:36:23 -0400
Its been 21/2 years since my message on notable Gambians.  Thanks to all
those who sent in names. My goal is to take things a step further and to
create an online searchable database that would allow users to search
for people using first name, last name and/ profession to retrieve their
biographic data. To do that I would need volunteer writers, editors and
web-developers. Those interested, let me know what you can do.  Please
note this list in not complete. I will send out the entire list once we
have interested folks.

Malanding

Here is an example below adapted from Hughes and Gailey's Historic
dictionary of the Gambia. Missing is Mr. Jahumpa's  childhood, family
and other contributions.
In all about  300 - 500 words. An official or unofficial picture will be
great.

Ibrahim Momodou Garba-Jahumpa (1912 - 1994). Teacher, labor leader and
politician. Prominent member of the Bathurst Young Muslims Society
(BYMS), Mr. Jahumpa was appointed to the Bathurst Town Advisory Council
in 1941. In 1947 he created the Gambia Amalgamated Trade Union (GATU),
co-founded the Gambia Muslim Congress (GMC) in 1952 and was later
elected first Chairman of the Bathurst Town Council in 1959. Held
several government portfolios including Agriculture and Natural
Resources;  Health and Social Welfare and Finance ministries.