GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:55:19 +0200
Jungle,
Very interesting reading .The information about your deal with Sankung Sillah
raised so many questions, having in mind also   projects that are said to be
soon here, for example the twenty or so factories to be built at Yundum
airport. I will come back to that to show the connections with the issue at
hand.
Your first dealing with the son of Sankung Sillah, shows the interest of the
market comes first before the nation, with all the profits that Gamtel is
marking yearly, to enter a contract that gives Sankung Sillah the guarantee
that what ever he produces for Gamtel will be bought should not have been any
problem for you Jungla.Liberal economist will say this will be against the
spirit and values of the free market, this was exactly what you indicated when
your refused to bind yourself to such a deal because of  price deference that
can occur in the large market. If the interest of the nation should come
before the idea of the laws of   the martket, then Jungle the first thing you
would have thought of is that (1) That it will save us from foreign exchange
problems in this deal (2) That this will mean an increase in production and
this will not only give jobs to those who are already working there but also
the possibilities of employing more workers and (3) It can even create grounds
to bring heads together to produce moulds in the country that will meet the
needs of Gamtel.Since I dont know of the difference of production cost between
Sankung Sillah an the Senegalese, I am not going to deal with that until we
know the truth .But for the future ,the millions that Gamtel have accumulated
for the past years could be used to stimulate local industries. The idea that
we will buy in millions from Senegal if they sell less is no good signal to
those coming to invest and the twenty or so factories to come.
 If Sankung Silla did not have the moulds to produced those dust-bins, should
the State not see the need for it and come to a deal with Sankung to buy the
moulds or help to get one, just like you did with the pipes.I am not here
saying that we should have all types of factories to produce all that we need,
what I am saying is that we should protect our industries, an example of such
should be set by partly owned government institution like Gamtel.
Yes again with the roads. The problem between West Field and Serre Kunda
Junction is not a problem of lack of big roads. The fact is you find such
places everywhere in this world. The problem has always been bad planning.
Within that small area in Serre Kunda, you have the biggest market in the
country, the most active car packing centre in the country, within that same
area, you have the biggest health centre of the biggest town in the country,
what do you expect to happen in such a place. You either moved the market or
make the place inaccessible for vehicles. We do agree that we need good roads;
we have different opinion on the size of these roads. The reason why I am
against a four lane road in the middle of town are (1) They are two expensive
and the Gambian population is still not yet 2 million (2) The world is getting
modern and very conscious of its resposibility, the question of the
environment is now a concern to all, this is why building of big roads has now
become an ideological discussion. More cars more pollution, there is no doubt
about that and the best way of solving such problems is to encourage
collective way to travel. For sometime back, I was reading a story about a
president who insisted that all his ministers who want to see him off or
welcome him back will have to travel with the buss that would be provided for
such occasions because he did not like seeing that long line of cars just to
see him off, waste of resources. I could not remember which president this was
but it is a typical example to show how important it is for people to travel
collectively and take care of the little resources that the nation have,
Offcourse you have to upgrade the GPTC to met such demands and (3) Safety for
the population is very important.

For Freedom
Saiks