GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:13:20 -0800
Greetings,

Sorry to butt in again. Yes, Mr. Conteh and I did indeed have an amiable
phone conversation today. As for strategies for eliminating this practice
I have to again stress that our book merely REPORTS and does not exactly
PRESCRIBE various approaches.  Having said that, I think that the
Senegalese Tostan campaign (which is the topic of one of the chapters) is
working better than anything anyone would have dreamed about before. The
key is that it is community-run, bottoms-up, holistic (i.e. "FGM" is just
one of many topics addressed) and involves large groups of people.  With
other words, no one is forced to take the courageous step of being the one
to change and go against the rest of the community, but everyone quits all
at once, through public declaration. No one knows yet, however, whether
this model will work elsewhere.
Legislation has proven much more problematic.

Best, Ylva (who WISHES she were a "young lady" :))