GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 17:48:29 -0400
Koto Habib,

You and Elhajj Mustapha Faye are two people I really do respect alot on
this list.  Although our intentions to meet in person had never
materialized in the past nevertheless we both held each other in high
esteem.  I knew Elhajj Mustapha way back in the Banjul, and I can bet
my life that he will never describe me as a disrespectful person.
I also do not believe anybody on this list has any right to slander my
name and subject me to some malicious rumors.  I personally have
absolutely no inclination to turn nasty on anybody.  However, I will
never hesitate to return any insult in kind.  The law of mutual
reciprocity is very simple and tacit:  DO NOT INSULT PEOPLE IF YOU NOT
WANT TO BE INSULTED.  Furthermore, the Bible says that “judge not...for
the measure you give is the measure you get”.  I believe this is a very
fair deal!  Without the reciprocity of mutual respect civil society can
never never exist.  Respect for human dignity is a providential bliss
that the Almighty God bequeaths to us to live like normal human beings.

The essence of dialogue is reason, and not passions.  And no
qualitative logic can ever arrest the destructiveness of unbridled
passions.  I do sincerely hope though that we the younger members on
this list might be able to tap on the good auspices of your graceful
wisdom in the future.  Please Habib do not hesitate to arbitrate
internecine exchanges before they turn rancorous and fetid.  I for one
have pledge my disposition on such events on your good judgment.

Hopefully, we shall see one of these days.

Ebou Jallow