GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Oko Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:32:31 +0200
Prince,
WHY MORE OFFIALS THAN ATHELETES
Infact the Gambia team was five persons in the parade with Jaysuma Ndure
holding the banner. May be more Athelets will perform before the end of
The Games. The next row  in the parade was Dodou Joof (well deserved)
then three othe people including Adama Njie. Who are they?    I did not
see  Mr. Evans in the match-parade but he was there (according to news
at home) as head official..So how many were there? So we had no coach,
no physio ,no trainer, no press team, ,no public relation mogul to hunt
for sponsors,no press book. Even in the Gambia there is no rave about
this.It was a hidden agenda. That's when I asked if we ever had olympic
trials to select these Atheletes. What is happening to our country'and
the abilities of the youth.

THE PRESS COVERAGE (the world is watching )
No woder The Gambian athelets did not have the media exposerure at the
games. Years ago we were bound to be on BBC and VOA. We lost it.There
were no photos of the face and images of any Gambian Athelete in any
paper.The international news or African news services(quoated on lack of
facilities).The talents were not motivated and inspired They are not
aware of what lies ahead. We do not have a press desk within the
complex,we also do not have a machandise stand. I see the display the
the street funiture in Ahenens. This was a platform for The Gambia media
to sell our talents,tourism and cultural products.

THE EXPOSURE (just by being there)
In reporting sports in The Gambia we are way in the past .Even though we
have a visiual media TV/ DVDs in The Gambia.The technological apporach
must be geared up.You do not need the the analogue generation in the
digital age.It is a differenrt way of approach. The commentarties I
heard on The Gambia media is still Radio reporting (like War
reporting)." The ball to so and so ,Oh yes it is a goal!" .This is not
educationsal and informative.This is called action interpretation and
the number of goals for each side counted..This is not innovative
reporting with footage and flashbacks sampling the past and paving the
way for new talents. Our Athelets back home do not get interviews,they
can't talk objectively radio and TV on the world media.The pulic
relation and the exposure tactics of the officials is out of touch.There
should be more seminars and workshops on issues affecting Gambians.

Oko Drammeh
www.okodrammeh.com