GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 05:17:18 GMT
Mr. Sallah,

I think we're losing focus here. There is nothing personal in what I've said
so far, and I thought I've made that clear. So I don't understand the
"language directed at you" that you're talking about. What language have I
directed at you?

And let me be clear about "claiming that I know you." Mr. Sallah, I'm too
busy pursuing my goals to make spurrious claims about knowing any one -
however important that person is. And I always have been even as a boy. Have
I ever visited you at your home? No. But have we had exchanges on issues at
PDOIS' bureaus (first at Bundung, then at Mr. Sarr's house?) Countless
times! If you don't remember me, there's nothing wrong with that. But I'm
not the type who'll tell tall stories in order to feel important. I'm not in
the lying business, and I'm surprised you've not picked that up from our
exchanges by now. You are a professional in your field, and I like to think
I'm one in mine. So, why would I lie about knowing you when I don't?

It is for this reason that I mentioned in my last piece that I don't kow-tow
to anyone. It's not to be disrespectful, it's merely to convey the fact that
I go with my conscience irrespective of how unpopular my opinion is, or how
popular the recipient of my criticism is. It's a matter of principle.
Nothing else! Or would you rather I acquiesce to ideas I don't believe in,
only b/c they're coming from Halifa Sallah? No offense intended here Mr
Sallah, but I'm one African who is sick and tired of being duped by phoney
politicians who have been wrapping their tentacles in all types of cloaks,
and in the process, sending our  continent to the hell it is in now. Do I
think you're at that low level yet? Not exactly, but I intend to find out!

In any case, you're yet to address any of the questions/issues I've raised.
Even the issue of our phone conversation is untouched. If you're saying now
that the editorial board would have had a problem with publishing my letter
b/c of a Charles Taylor - MOJA type scenario, I wonder why you never
mentioned that in over thrirty minutes of our phone conversation. Not to
beat on a dead horse, a Yes/No answer regarding that article of mine will
do: do you remember receiving the article in '96 or not? That is the only
thing I'm interested in regarding that article at this point. You don't have
to answer this if you don't want to.

But please answer the questions relating to national issues. I don't want
this to degenerate into a personal argument. I just need answers to
questions that have been bugging me for a while, and which I believe will
help many others understand the nuances of Gambian politics since 1994.

I hope this clears some issues for you while you prepare your response.

Good night.

Saul.