GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Gajigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 02:33:33 -0800
Jabou,
The issue of killing innocent civilians - I don't think there is anyone who
wants to see that happen (except for Saddam). This point is the best
argument against the position of these "human shields". If Saddam is willing
to put innocent citizens in harm's way through his actions, then this is
another reason why that guy should be removed. Why prevent war, which will
keep in power and therefore make it possible for him to continue doing that?
He has subjected his citizens to the calamities of two major wars so why
won't he do it again? Of course, if there were a way to remove him without
war, almost everyone would be for it. But the reality is that dictators like
Saddam will never peacefully yield power. I pity the Iraqi who suggests
exile for Saddam.
One can make a case that this Bush administration may be trigger-happy but
the fact is that the American military is not going to just "drop bombs".
One can question the motive for this war for all one wants but this is a
government with conscience - which is more than I can say for Iraq. In fact,
the presence of so-called human shield proves the point because if they
don't believe that this government has a conscience, then what's the point
of their action.
You wrote:
"I think it is a noble thing they are doing because any action to stop war
is a good one since war is not a good thing and one would ppreciate that
notion if the bombs were coming to fall on them and their's."

War is evil but sometimes necessary. History is replete with situations were
war was necessary: the removal of Idi Amin, Hitler, Pol Pot, etc. What these
people fail to get is that they may be "saving" a few civilians today but
only to let Saddam have a meal of them through some terrible actions in the
near future. If Saddam is not removed by force, sanctions (imposed by the
UN) will continue and the terrible effects of these sanctions will have a
more long-lasting effects on those helpless civilians than a short military
campaign. So these "peace activists" are objectively helping only Saddam
because their actions, if not in intent but in effect, ensure his continued
rule.
There are other tyrants and dictators in the world but that's not a credible
argument against the removal of Saddam. His removal means there is one less
tyrant free to oppress his people.

Ousman