GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Oko Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:59:21 +0100
Ladies and gentlemen,

I am your Gambian brother, bringing you news from my Gambian nation.
Safely back from the Gambia I am back in Holland and glad to be back
with you on the list again.

I have some great news from home but first I want to make an obituary
announcement for the passing of a great friend and legend of Gambian
poetry and musical rhymes, Mr. Njaja Poh of 6 Zebra str. in Banjul. His
real name was Matarr Joufe. He died on the 25th of December at 10 in the
morning, in his home on Zebra street.

Njaja Poh was a poet, and an inspiration to Gambian musicians and poets,
with his famous translations of the Wollof language into segments and
poetic verses that awakened and enlightened the youths of Banjul,
especially the mass movement and the creation of the Afro-Manding sounds
by Paps Touray, Ifanbondi, the Gelewarr band and the Magadan jazz band.
Njaja was well kown and recognised throughout Gambia and Senegal among
the connaiseurs of poetry.

He invented "Hamham dafa lahu" -  knowledge is hidden.

"You cannot force it, and when you force it anyway, you lose it." -
Njaja Poh (quote of the 60's/70's)

Myself and the artistic community in the Gambia celebrated him well
after his death. He died at the Royal Victoria Hospital in a very
dignified manner, and all his friends and loved ones attended his
funeral.

His legacy continues and his story will follow.

May his soul rest in peace.

Your friend, Oko Drammeh