GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 08:41:46 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:59:49 -0700
From: Carol D. McRoberts <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WASAN] Fw: [women-csd] FW: 2004 Social Watch report will be
    launched in New York

Subject: [women-csd] FW: 2004 Social Watch report will be launched in New
York

> [...]
>             www.socialwatch.org
>
> Social Watch: Breaking promises is not the path towards world security
>
> “Frustrating the hopes of peoples and nations all around the globe will
> certainly not help make the world a more secure place for our children”
> concludes the Social Watch report 2004, summarizing the findings of
citizen
> coalitions in 50 countries, poor and rich, about what they see as main
> obstacles to human security.
>
> The Social Watch report keeps track every year about progress and
> regression in the path towards eradicating poverty and achieving gender
> equity, a promise made by governments at the UN in 1995 and reaffirmed in
> the year 2000 in the largest gathering ever held of world leaders.
>
> Yet, according to Social Watch, the necessary increase in aid has been too
> little and too slow, the international trade system is still biased
against
> the
> poor farmers that constitute a majority of the people living in poverty
and
> the world finances have not been reformed in a way that might help poor
> countries overcome chronic indebtedness that sucks away the their scarce
> resources. In contrast, military expenditures are on the rise everywhere.
>
> Contributors to the Social Watch report 2004 include organizations from
> places as diverse as Iraq and Switzerland, from the richest and the
poorest
> countries in the world. Armed conflict and high crime rates are perceived
as
> major threats by citizens in many of them, but poverty and declining
> coverage of social services are feared the most by citizens in many
others.
> Corruption, lack of responsiveness by governments to the concerns of their
> subjects, gender or ethnic discrimination… the list goes on and the
culprits
> identified include local authorities, international institutions and large
> corporations.
>
> Social Watch was created around the idea that unless citizens monitor the
> commitments made by governments they will not be met. Even international
> institutions whose declared task is to fight poverty, like the World Bank,
in

> practice grade countries against their allegiance to corporate-friendly
> policies
> and not according to their success in helping people make a decent living.
>
> The Social Watch report will be officially launched at the United Nations
in
> New York next April 26.
>
> It is available on the Internet at:
> http://www.socialwatch.org/

> Social Watch International
> Jackson 1136, Montevideo 11200, Uruguay
>
> To receive regular updates:
> Please visit www.socialwatch.org

> This is a listserver set up by the CSD Women's Caucus. It has been
established to circulate information in relation to the UN Commission on
Sustainable Development (CSD), particularly on women / gender and
sustainable development issues. The CSD is the UN body mandated to monitor
the follow-up of the Rio Earth Summit (1992) and the Johannesburg World
Summit on Sustainable Development (2002).
www.earthsummit2002.org/wcaucus/csdngo.htm
> Yahoo! Groups Links

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/DKgolB/TM

We periodically meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  Others who want to subscribe need to send a message to [log in to unmask] from the email account they want to subscribe.
Yahoo! Groups Links

     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/