<P>The following is a copy of the Independent's view of Gambia-L. Please read
on</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>
<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width=374 NOF="LY">
<TBODY>
<TR align=left vAlign=top>
<TD colSpan=6 width=364>
<P align=left><B><I><FONT color=#aa7f00 face="Times New Roman,Times,Times
NewRoman" size=+3>Independent View</FONT></I>
<P align=center><FONT face="Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman" size=+2>Cease
fire, Gambia-L</FONT></B>
<P align=left><FONT color=#000000 face="Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT"
size=-1>When the Gambia-L initiative was launched, it was for
a&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; good purpose; giving its users
around the world a platform to exchange ideas and allow the culture of free
expression to blossom.&nbsp; Now, the situation is not so good.&nbsp; We find
that&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; this culture of free speech is not being used
objectively.</FONT>
<P align=left><FONT face="Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT" size=-1>Gambia-L
has degenerated to a forum for abuse, targeting personalities instead of
ideas.&nbsp; How different this is from the impression of the very first
dispatches urging users to adhere to the fine principles of intellectual
discourse in the web.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Then it was a positive
thing.&nbsp; However it seems the fact that the number of users has increased
ten fold has made it a&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; plaything and negatively so.&nbsp; Why
this has happened is not easy to determine. Perhaps users can help out.
<P align=left>Words like 'knave', 'brat' and 'imbecile' have unashamedly woven
their way into the writing of many Gambia-L
users.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; It is now a battleground where
personal feuds are settled. Sometimes bitter intellectual wrangling on the web
has climaxed to a point where contributors form groups pitted against each
other, even over the most trivial of issues.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Thus what might begin as a promisingly healthy intellectual exchange is soon
soiled with anger and rudeness. The&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
result&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; is obvious hostility, hatred and
sometimes&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; vendettas.
<P align=left>It is regrettable that Gambia-L is lending itself to a situation
that will bring its own undoing and that of its users.&nbsp;
We&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; believe that the net should not be platform for quarrels
and character assassination. Since it is for the consumption
of&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; the public, anything that goes in it should be
tempered with&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; the most reasonable and positive turn of
mind.&nbsp; Users should be responsible enough to know that the best way
to&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; intellectual maturity is the application of restraint when
confronted with emotionally charged situations.
<P align=left>There are no two ways about being responsible. If personal
opinions of each other could be kept away from Gambia-L, those who do not have
an interest, time or liking for these unhealthy exchanges would be attracted to
it.
<P align=left>Contributors, in thoughts and ideas, should aim to
bring&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; about positive change. As Gambian's who
'talk' through the web, we should try not to be seen as irresponsible and
malicious on the international stage. Let us realise that it
is&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; not only Gambians who have access to Gambia-L. The
impression we give to others through what we write can be&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; very
strong. We should blame none but ourselves if we are seen in a bad light.
Gambia-L users cease your fire.</FONT></P></TD>
<TD colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P><BR><BR><P><FONT face="Comic Sans
FONT><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><STRONG></STRONG></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><STRONG>GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY;&nbsp;BECOMING
WISE IS OPTIONAL.</STRONG></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face="Comic Sans
/FONT></P>
Talk to your friends online with <a href="http://im.yahoo.com/">Yahoo!