No reasonable person who is a Gambian, a resident in The Gambia, or who loves or knows the country will fail to condemn the actions of the army in the recent massacre.  Had the army and police not intereferred with what probably began as a peaceful demonstration, it may have passed fairly quietly.

The report featured in the Daily Observer yesterday (11 April) is nothing short of a government statement.  It is offensive, and an insult to all those journalists who have put their necks on the line when reporting the truth.  I understand that in today's issue they make no reference to the events of Monday.

Who gave the order for the army to open fire with live ammunition is not relevant.  The ultimate responsibility lies with President Jammeh who has culpable responsibility.  If he had a gramme of integrity and morality he would resign pending an election for his replacement.  Having done his level best to ruin the economy of The Gambia, he is now determined, it seems, to ensure his citizens are robbed of any vestige of human rights that should be enjoyed in any democracy.

According to a posting in the guest book on the Gambianet web site, Jammeh's e-mail address is:

I hope that many of you will direct your anger to him at that address.