During student demonstrations
One Senegalese killed, 16 detained

The Senegalese High Commissioner in Banjul, General Momodou Diop, has confirmed to The Independent that one Senegalese national was killed, one hospitalised and 16 arrested during the student demonstrations earlier this month.

High Commissioner Diop said the government had formally notified his office of this and he remained in constant contact with the police, Immigration and the Department of State of the Interior.

He also confirmed that those arrested were still under detention pending investigations to be conducted by the security forces, but that he was 'optimistic' that they would be released soon.

'It is the duty of the security forces to conduct their own investigations in such circumstances,' he said.

High Commissioner Diop said that in such situations arrests are unavoidable and that investigations are left entirely in the hands of the authorities concerned.

A senior Embassy official Abdou Niang, disclosed to this reporter that the deceased name was Vieux Fode Massaly and that he was born on October 15 1981, in Sedhiou, Republic of Senegal. It could not be confirmed if Fode Massaly was a student in The Gambia at the time of his death.

However some Senegalese nationals residing in The Gambia have denounced the actions of the security forces claiming that many of their compatriots were arrested while they were carrying out their own businesses.

Galo Sowe, a petty trader, told The Independent that two of his fellow workers were arrested while they were 'on their way home' during the students demonstrations.  He said his colleagues had nothing whatsoever to do with the demonstration and called for their immediate release.

'I witnessed many student demonstrations in Senegal but it was never like this …. This is embarrassing and unfortunate,' he said.

Another Senegalese hawker, who was seen being confronted by armed officers around the Bakoteh - Sukuta highway junction during the student demonstrations, complained that he was beaten up by the police and the paramilitary after declaring to them that he was not a student and was never involved in any demonstration.

The young man, Ousmane Sey, said at the time, 'you can see they were hitting and kicking me for nothing.  I knew I was helpless as I was carrying my own belongings from the Serrekunda market back home.'

Many Senegalese nationals residing in The Gambia, however, have commended High Commissioner Diop for assisting them greatly in general and particularly during times of difficulties.

Businessman to sue gov't over alleged shooting

Alhagie Ba Tunkara, an international businessman based in the US with a home in Serrekunda, has threatened to sue the Gambia Government after armed soldiers allegedly fired gun shots inside his compound during the student demonstration earlier this month.

Mr. Tunkara told The Independent last Wednesday evening that during the demonstration armed soldiers 'deliberately targeted' his compound and fired gun shots inside the premises, causing 'panic and confusion' for his family.

He said he had 'visible evidence' to support his claim and a member of his family was able to identify the soldiers.

He added that he had contacted a lawyer and intended to go 'straight to the courts because I know it was a deliberate act … there is no student in my compound and if they are hunting the students no armed men should target my house,' he said.

Mr Tunkara intends to sue the government for 'unlawful action'.

He further disclosed that, if necessary, he was prepared to go to other courts beyond the jurisdiction of The Gambia in order to seek justice.

Mr. Tunkara dismissed the Coroner's inquiry as 'valueless and a waste of time, energy and resources' as the Coroner had stated he was not out to tell who is guilty or innocent of the shootings. He also criticised the President's declaration of seven days mourning. 'I am not interested in any display of half flags when those who did the killings are going about their business,' he said. 'The truth is right in the open,' he declared.

Mr. Tunkara, clearly upset by the events, complained that while he had made donations to Operation Save a Baby in the past, he now considered such action pointless.

'It is useless to make such donations, when the babies are later slaughtered with impunity,' he said.

Mr. Tunkara also denounced certain secretaries of state and some religious leaders who, according to him, openly supported the killing of innocent students.  'It was so unbelievable when those we expected to hit the nail on the head started to create confusion within the general public,' he said.

'We should put aside money and position whenever the truth arises, as Allah cannot be deceived by any human being,' he said.  Such people, he added, should reform their attitudes to give youths something to emulate.

Mr. Tunkara commended the private media houses for giving the general public correct information.