Absjorn Nordam's questions are pertinent, indeed. What will Gambians do at home in face of the current political situation? Protest? Wait for the army as usual to seize power? Or just wait and wait for some miracle?

In the late 1980s, Dakar women collected their pots, pans and other cooking utensils and marched defiantly all the way to their State house in protest against the rising cost of basic commodities such as rice, sugar and cooking oil. Abdou Diouf's government was obligated to halt some of the price hikes.

Recently, civil servants in Ouagadougou stayed away from work for a whole day when Blaise Compaore's government refused to stop intimidating opposition political parties. Yes, even in Burkina Faso where the army has a history of using violent methods to put down demonstrations.

I may say that Saul Khan is not unique in his experience. At home it is not uncommon to hear people saying, "I'm not interested in polotics"(sic), with admonitions from loved ones, family and friends to stay away from any activity that questions government authority.  "Nit du heekh ak nguur" (One should not fight against established authority). This is perhaps one reason why The Gambia has a history of underground movements: Voice of the Future, Balangba, Student Revolution, etc. Again, respect is mutual. If a person or authority doesn't merit respect then they get what they deserve: disrespect.

I want to believe that  the former French colonies in Africa had stronger and more proactive trade unions than the English territories.  It seems Gambian trade unionism was buried with Francis Small.

Hamadi.