My Fellow Gambians,

We are all witnesses to the mess in which our country now finds itself today, because of Jammeh’s crass incompetence as a leader. We have been talking, and talking, and talking about The Gambia and the deteriorating situation there. It has now become abundantly clear to us that the future of our nation is indeed depressing and austere for as long as Yahya stays in office.

We are all in agreement that the way forward for The Gambia and Gambians is one which is Jammeh-free. But merely verbalising these opinions is not sufficient: the situation can only be changed if we put our words into action: if we ensure that we are not indulging only in empty rhetoric. We have to become doers rather than orators; we have to become pragmatists rather than theoreticians; we have to put all our energies into actions. There is no point in complaining, or blaming Jammeh for the chronic state of affairs, and just leaving it at that.

My fellow Gambians, where we still find consolation is that we have identified the problem: we at least know that our problem is Jammeh and that solving it will mean getting rid of the awful man. As a people, we MUST effect change come the next presidential election by purging the nation of the Butcher of Kanilai. We have to ensure that we put in place a government that is led by committed Gambians who will work strenuously to build a Gambia which can guarantee liberty, dignity, and prosperity to its inhabitants.

We should capitalise on the fact that at least for a start, we HAVE identified the over-riding dilemma facing our nation: that the root cause of the disastrous state of affairs is Yahya Jammeh and his puppet regime.

My fellow Gambians, as time passes by, more and more startling and worrying reports are coming from The Gambia, painting a picture of our country where injustice, poverty, lawlessness, repression and murder have become the order of the day. Just this morning, I received an E mail from a concerned Gambian in The Gambia who is also a highly placed government official (although not one of my sources).

He spoke of the gravity of the Gambian situation, and stated that he felt that it was still being under-rated and under-played. He said that from whichever angle one chose to look at it, things were bad and deteriorating. It is his view that the whole machinery of government is defunct and non-operational. He talked of the way in which life in itself is becoming untenable for the mass of ordinary people.

It is therefore clear that under Yahya, The Gambia can be compared to a time bomb, and that if Jammeh remains at the helm, then the bomb will explode with far-reaching repercussions in the country, the sub-region and the continent. It matters not who our sources in the Gambia are – whether they are our brothers or sisters, uncles or aunts, or government officials – all are indeed unanimous in confirming that not only the political situation in our nation is worsening, but also that The Gambia is showing clear signs of being a state on the verge of collapse.

Some of Jammeh’s spin-doctors have even realised themselves that the situation is dangerously critical, and they are being careful in what they spin NOW. In fact, word has it that some of them have now started to apply for UK or USA visas for themselves (as well as for their families): these are their safeguards for an uncertain future.

My Fellow Gambians!

We all agree that moving our country forward is prefaced by Jammeh leaving the presidency in one way or another. Let us therefore get ourselves ready to unseat him through the ballot box.

In two month’s time, the Local Government elections are (scheduled) to take place. Since we are all doubting whether next year’s presidential elections will be free and fair because of Jammeh’s desperation to hang onto power, and because we all know that Jammeh HAS to go, let us focus on monitoring the Local Government elections. Let us use the forthcoming Local Government elections as our litmus test and forewarner of what to expect in the 2001 elections.

Let us NOW come together as one body and police the electoral process leading to the Local Government elections (in terms of efficient registration of voters, eligibility of those holding voters cards, possible intimidation of voters or political parties etc.). Let us keep our eyes open to EVERYTHING.

Let us turn out in large numbers and vote for the Opposition party of our free choice come the November 2000 elections. These local government elections should be taken very seriously indeed – because they will serve as a gauge for what is going to happen next year and they are therefore crucially important. Turnout at the polling stages has to be high, and we should be ensuring that the casting and counting of votes is fair and honest, and that the ensuing results are true.

If we can monitor these local elections together (that is, the people, the media and the Independent Electoral Commission working hand-in-hand together), then we shall be able to learn three important things:

1. We shall know or have pointers as to whether or not it is going to be possible for the Opposition to defeat Jammeh in the presidential elections.

2. If the APRC/government/NIA cheat or attempt to manipulate any aspect of these Local Government elections, then we shall be forewarned that it will happen again in 2001. The IEC can then decide if gross unfairness has taken place, and whether or not to call for a boycotting of the presidential elections.

3. If the outcome is that the individual Opposition parties have done very well, then it will help us to decide whether we should be recommending a tactical coalition, or whether there will be sufficient individual support still to see the back of the APRC.

Gambians in the past have normally not taken Local Government elections seriously: this year, we have to sensitise the people to ensure that they fully understand the overriding importance of this year’s elections. We have to seize this opportunity to be able to make predictions about 2001. I personally urge every Gambian of voting age to get a voters card AND TO USE IT ON POLLING DAY.

Yankuba Touray is boasting that the APRC is ready for the Local Government elections and that they will trounce the Opposition and do very well in the polls.

To prove him wrong, we have to go out in force and vote this wretched party out of office, and we have to supervise and scrutinise both the electoral process and the results, so that we can be sure that we shall have a free and fair presidential election in November 2001 whose results will truly reflect the will of the Gambian people.

My Fellow Gambians!

Let us make it happen. Each of us has a vital role to play in the next two months, and we should take our responsibilities seriously: our very future as Gambians depends on it.

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) can also use these local government elections to measure their own efficiency. If its officers can guarantee that the elections are fair, free and non-intimidatory, then they can also be optimistic that they will be set to handle the presidential elections in the same fair way.

However, if the IEC experiences problems in terms of Jammeh’s, the APRC’s, or the NIA’s interference or manipulation of any part of the process, then they also know that the same types of interference will take place next year. It is vital that the IEC takes its role seriously and ensures that the logistics are in place to handle the elections (in terms of manpower, ballot papers, supervisors, independent monitors etc.).

If we work together, and fulfil our civic responsibilities, we can use these Local elections as our guide for the future.  The Opposition parties can also use the forthcoming elections for their own purposes: to gauge the levels of support they receive; to check that things are handled fairly and impartially. Even if our parties do not come together in coalition to defeat Jammeh, let them have discussions together on practical matters which impact on everyone. Tactical planning and monitoring could be as vital as tactical coalition.

The time is getting ever closer, so let the political parties now start approaching the media (through the IEC) for airtime and coverage time: let them plan their campaigns, their rallies. Between now and November, the time will fly by: we really do have to start in earnest NOW: we have to flex our muscles and begin the important preparatory work. Parties need to be seeking permission for rallies, and for the candidates to be going to their constituencies to sell their packages to the people. It is no use doing this after the elections!

If the Opposition encounter any problems at all, let them report these (however seemingly insignificant) to the IEC straight away, and let them inform the Gambian people. The IEC has been empowered by law to conduct the elections freely and fairly: let them do this until they see government interference, and then let them do the honourable thing: report the offences, recommend boycotting of the elections; inform the international community, and if necessary, resign as a body in protest.

In their turn, The Gambian people must also dedicate themselves to supporting the work of the IEC. Let them not look for favour or reward: let them go about their electoral duties calmly and without ill intent.

I am afraid that we may have left things too late already: November is just around the corner, and still there are no real signs of urgency or preparation. We have to change this state of affairs around, and I call on all Gambians to play their essential roles NOW. It makes no sense at all to wait, and expect things to happen overnight: we have to get the groundwork done immediately.

The IEC will know by now if there is a need to call on international overseers to monitor the local government elections. I urge them to feel free to call for international help if they are in any doubt at all. Let them voice their concerns so that Gambians can feel truly confident that the elections will take place peacefully and with justice. If we can organise and monitor these elections, then we shall also have the chance to do likewise with the presidential elections.

Let us remember that Jammeh is mindful of national and international opinion. If the IEC were to resign because of government manipulation and interference, or to call off the elections because of malpractices, then this would service to tarnish his already battered image even further. We have to keep up the pressure on Jammeh and ensure that he leaves these elections to take their own (and not his) course.

It has not been an easy battle: it has been long and hard; but my fellow Gambians, we are beginning to get there. We have started the job, now let us see it through to its natural conclusion. Let us be serious and purposeful in our aim to rid The Gambia of Yahya.

In order for the people to be able to monitor the elections, they need to be coordinated, guided, directed and advised. They need to understand the issues, and they need explanations and information so that they can make good decisions based on firm foundations of truth. The political parties have an important to play in this regard: they have to educate and sensitise ordinary Gambians, and put their cases clearly and in understandable language.

Additionally, Gambian civil society also has its role to play: The Gambia Bar Association, The Gambia Medical Association, The Gambia Press Union, our religious leaders of all faiths – all have an essential role to play in informing the people.

In all countries where despotism has been defeated, it has been these elements of civil society which have contributed mainly to the job: their determination, strategic vision and unwillingness to be swayed have carried the day.

Our religious leaders should be more vocal if they see wrongdoing: they should condemn it outrightly (as well as at the same time, praising the good works they witness). They also have to ensure that the basis for peaceful coexistence and national prosperity is being built. Any statement or action from any individual or party which will damage the peace and stability of our nation should be condemned by them, regardless of who the person is.

The Gambia Bar Association has a special role to play in ensuring that justice and fairness characterise our society. Let them challenge illegalities, wrongful arrest, detention without charge or trial; above all, let them offer help when and where it is needed.

Our lawyers can challenge some of this regime’s oppressive acts, and I acknowledge the efforts of people like Emmanuel Joof, Ousman Sillah, my good sister Amie Drammeh-Bensouda, amongst others – their spirit of dedication and willingness to stand up for what they believe, reassures us all.

The media also has a key role to play in educating the people and monitoring the electoral process. I am doubtful that the government controlled press or GRTS will offer impartial advice and guidance to the people, but there are individuals working in these organisations who are people of integrity, and I urge them to have the courage of their convictions, and strength of mind to go against the government viewpoint, and ensure that Gambians have access to unbiased and objective information.

The independent media (radio, newspapers) have an indispensable role to play: they should give access to the Opposition to put their case, and to ensure that all shades of opinion are voiced. I commend the efforts of George Christensen at Radio One FM, and Baboucarr Gaye of Citizen FM in particular: with all the difficulties that they face, they remain people of integrity, determined to see the truth told.

The independent press will always have an important job in our Gambian society. Even though radio, television and the Internet are increasingly used, the newspapers retain their fundamental importance to the people. Some of the issues being aired are exceptionally complex, and news articles can clarify these for ordinary Gambians.

The press has the task of getting to the bottom of issues so that people can access the whole truth. Even though our newspapers are published in English, throughout The Gambia, you will find people buying them and asking their friends to read them for them. Independent radio stations can then follow these articles through with broadcasts in the vernacular, so that every Gambian has access to direct, first-hand knowledge.

I have always put the case that we should be ridding our nation of the evil which is Yahya Jammeh not by violent action, but by speaking the truth: by ensuring that people know what the man and his regime represent for our country; by urging Gambians to use their constitutional rights as voters to speak their minds.

I end this Seventeenth Message by calling on Gambians everywhere to rally to the electoral cause. Let Jammeh be shocked by the strength of opposition he and the APRC meet in the Local Government Elections; let us give him clear notice that his days are coming to an end, and that he should be preparing the defence for his trial in the highest courts of our land.

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham, UK.

PS - Kebba Dampha: I agree with the points you made re: “law and order” and shall be adding to your piece within the next week or so.

My fellow Gambians: My next message (No 18) will cover sustainable development for the future in terms of environmental, economic, agricultural, private sector and infrastructural developments.