From the Olympics homepage: Tuesday, September 26, 2000

AFTER CHILE WENT ahead on an own goal by Patrice Abanda in the 78th minute,
Patrick Nboma tied it in the 83rd. Lauren then drove home the decisive
penalty kick after Chile defender Pablo Contreras knocked downed Nboma in
the penalty area.

It was another dramatic triumph for the Africans, who beat Brazil 2-1 in
extra time of the quarterfinals while playing with just nine men.
And it meant an African nation has made the final for the second
consecutive time. Four years ago, Nigeria triumphed after victories
over two South American teams, Brazil in the semifinals and Argentina in the
final.

"The gold medal has always been our objective, like it was with Nigeria,”
said Cameroon coach Jean-Paul Akono. “Nigeria paved the way four years ago
for African football and Cameroon is heading for the same achievement.
"Both teams went out to attack. Chile’s goal was the result of an accident
from my team but, instead of lowering
our morale, it made us stronger.” Lauren said he wasn’t nervous about taking
such a vital penalty kick. “I had enough character and confidence to take
it,” he said. “I had a similar experience in the
African Nations Cup,when we won on penalties and drew a lot from that
experience.” Akono claimed he had some surprise tactics to thwart Chile’s
Ivan Zamorano and Reinaldo Navia, who had eight goals between them entering
the game. A rigidly enforced offside trap clearly worked for the first 30
minutes. Cameroon nearly broke the scoreless tie early in the second half.

Chilean goalkeeper Nelson Tapia, 18 years older than his opposite number and
the oldest player in the  tournament at 34, blocked but failed to hold a
25-yard shot from Mboma. Samuel Eto’o followed up, firing the rebound over
the crossbar. Chile had a golden chance to go ahead when Cristian Alvarez
broke the offside trap and found he had three unmarked teammates to aim at
with his cross. Zamorano and Navia were two of them, but the ball went to
Claudio  Maldonado whose header wasn’t even on target.

The breakthrough came in the 78th minute when the Cameroon defense again got
caught by a long ball. Substitute Sebastian Gonzalez got clear only to have
the 16-year-old Cameroon goalie, Carlos Kameni, block the shot. But the ball
struck Abanda facing his own goal and
rebounded in. The lead lasted five minutes before Chile failed to clear a
corner kick and Mboma fired home a left-footed shot.
Chile coach Nelson Acosta said his team wasted too many chances.      “Most
of it was our fault,” he said. “We did not know how to turn our chances into
goals and we just had to try and hang on.”

© 2000 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.