From: [log in to unmask] (JENNIFER EIDSON)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 01:25:57 -0500 (CDT)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: my thoughts!

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to the emails that were directed
towards/to me.  If you all could do me a big favor and take a minute to
pray for the couple that I take care of, I would greatly appreciate it!
George and Ruth have been married for over 53 years and around 8:30 pm
on Wednesday, George had a Massive Heart Attack and he is now in ICU in
the Hospital.  The doctors can do nothing for him.  They will change his
medicines and that is all they can do.  His heart has just been damaged
too much!   It is in Gods hands now!.  Thank You!
So contrary to popular belief I don't just sit in my "comfy room" all
day and write to the Gambia-L to give my views on the various topics
that come up.  If you don't know, taking care of two elderly people is a
lot of work.  Of which I enjoy immensely. As far as my race goes what
difference does it make what color or nationally I am?  Yes, I am white
and I currently live in Gallatin, Tennessee.  I also have a house in The
Gambia, in Bakau.  I love The Gambia!  It is like my home!  I have been
fortunate enough to have traveled to The Gambia in June of 1998, with my
professor and fifty or so other students from various schools.  Dr. Mock
decided that he would take me, "the white girl from Port Royal" (as he
aways called me at school) along with the group of my fellow
African/Black American students, to The Gambia, for a crash course in
"true" African Culture.   I was so excited that I was chosen to go and
fortunate enough to be able to afford such a trip.  My life will never
and I repeat NEVER be the same!  I fell in love with your country and
more so the people in it!   I had the privilege to stay in a village and
live with a family that I now call my own.  I lived with them with no
complaints what so ever!   While my fellow African/Black American class
mates complained and thought that they were too good for the "village
life"!  I never once thought I was to good to stay with my family.  I
slept in my brother Abdoulie's bed and he slept on the floor.  I was
very, I guess you could call it disturbed when I heard a rat making
noises and I turned on my flashlight and there he lay with two rats
running around him on the floor.  I insisted that Abdoulie get off the
floor and on the bed with me.   I thought that the rats were not so bad
when I learned that some of my fellow class mates were living with bed
bugs.  I just did what I could do to help them be more comfortable in
their families homes.  I had chores just like the rest of the family.  I
helped clean the house and I helped fetch water from the well and cook,
etc.  I felt like more apart of their family than I did my own!  They
treated me that way also.   Also in the village I had the honor (or what
I was told was an honor) of observing the traditional rite of passage.
Where of course there were stipulations to this, of which I'm sure you
all know.  "Don't talk about what you see here.  Don't ever mention it
outside of the group!  Don't write about it in your school papers, etc.
The list goes on and on!  "If you do, nothing but bad will come your
way"  It's a good thing that I don't necessarily believe that last part
because if I did, I'm sure I would just sabotage myself.  I along with
the rest of my group were sent to get changed into African Dress for the
ritual.  It was kind of fun getting dressed up.  Then we had to march
and dance for ever till we reached this opening and the girls went one
way and the guys went the other.  The villagers wee chanting and singing
and it was very interesting and the all of the sudden they stopped.
That is when the HELL began!  It was like something you would see on an
evil horror film.  We were watching them mutilate some poor defenceless
girl and they were hold her down in a somewhat reclined position with
her legs spread and they were cutting away at her genial area!  I had
never seen such a thing in all my 26 years.  I was in shock, horror,
total disbelief, my whole body shut down.  I just sat there and did
nothing to help this child. I just sat there!  YOU DON'T NEED TO TELL ME
THAT I DON'T KNOW BECAUSE I DO!!!  I HAVE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES AND
IT IS SOMETHING I NEVER WANT TO EVER SEE AGAIN!!!!!  DO ME A FAVOR AND
DON'T TELL ME THAT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, SIMPLY BECAUSE
I AM WHITE AND NOT BLACK!!!!  I might have never had this done to me but
as far as I'm concerned I felt everything that the girl felt when she
went thru it, and that is something that no one can ever take back! I
screamed right along with her and I felt it all a if it was happening to
me!  I never ever want anyone to ever have to go thru such torment ever
again.  That is the reason I wrote my feeling on the issue to the
Gambia-L.  I never once tried to take anything away from you!  I just
tried to give m views and opinions on the issue.  So I repeat it again,
I am truly sorry I you feel I have, AWA!  Never once did I try to
disrespect you, I just tried to stand up for yours and the other women
in your countries rights!!!  So forgive me if I come across harsh,
blunt, or acrimonious, but if that is what it takes then that is what I
will do!

Love,
Jennifer Eidson