From: "hikloch ogola" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Article
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:57:27 EEST
Sender: [log in to unmask]

Network Africa - Sweden (NAS)

Hi!
I am interested in writing an article on immigrant issues in the nordic to
an international media. As an immigrant, I live in Finland but recently
visited Stockholm, Sweden where I got word that communes/municipal/city
are/is/will sell its apartments to private people because it can no longer
maintain them in good order. Most of the information I got was from
authorities, it will be good to hear the views of others.

The issue is that down-town stockholm is getting hotter and wealthier people
may buy so many apartments in the cooler, more spacious suburbs/outside
occupied mainly by immigrants most of whom may not have enough to buy the
apartments. Can it not sound as another move to segregate immigrants
indirectly? To get a clear profile of the article I send a set of leading
questions and kindly request anyone with reliable information to answer the
questions to the best of their knowledge and send to me. Those with proof
documents can mail to: Winfrith Hikloch, Prammikuja 2D 35, 00980 Helsinki,
phone:+358-9-3443485. It would be much better to identify yourself and where
necessary say why you do not want to be quoted.Thanks in advance for your
co-operation.

QUESTIONS.

1) Please tell more about ”stockholm-getting-hotter”.  What are the average
temperature variations over a period of say last ten years? If there is a
remarkable change in temperature within that period, which environmental,
meteorological or research institute has confirmed the variations? What do
these institutions relate the change to ? Over crowding due to population
increase  in the city ? (how much has it increased, for example, within the
period?). Lack of space in relation to increase in infrastructure such as
housing, roads, etc? Increase in and inadequate management of industrial and
municipal waste/pollution? Climatic changes due to global warming?

2) Please tell more about communal/municipal/city council plans to sell
apartments to private people. When is this move going to take place? Which
areas will be most affected? How many housing units are targeted? Was the
decision an act of parliament? Can’t the communes/municipal/city continue to
maintain the apartments in good order? If it is because of economic burden,
how much is currently spent in maintaining the apartments and how much would
be required for good maintenance? Can’t these revenues come from other
sources such as increasing income tax or  introducing new revenues such as
environment tax? Why not increase apartment rents?

3) What will be/is the impact of such a move to immigrants/refugees/poor
Swedes currently occupying the targeted apartments outside down-town
stockholm. How many people will directly be affected? Is there a relocation
programme for them? Will they get state or private support to get new
housing? What are the consequences to the city’s integration programme? What
are the components and how successful has the integration programme been
over what period?

4) Could you please give me contacts and addresses for other sources that
may be willing to give more information for or against the whole move?