Skip to main content

Click Here
CNN Interactive
Editions | myCNN | Video | Audio | Headline News Brief | Free E-mail | Feedback
October 5, 2000 -- Updated 12:08 p.m. EDT, 1608 GMT
Yugoslav opposition controls parliament building

Yugoslav opposition controls parliament building

Fires are burning in the Yugoslav parliament in Belgrade today and vehicles, some of them police cars, are aflame nearby after protesters broke through riot police cordons and entered the building.

The opposition is now in control of the parliament after protesters smashed windows and threw books and pictures of Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic from the windows while others waved Serbian flags from the parliament's balconies.

The demonstrators are attempting to force the resignation of Milosevic who they say lost the presidential election September 24 to opposition leader Vojislav Kostunica.

FULL STORY This story contains video

  • Live now: Watch the protests  Watch it live
    Real or Windows Media
  • In-depth: Yugoslav Elections
  • Gallery: Images from the historic vote
  • Message Board: Peace in the Balkans

  •    CNN ON TV: ELECTION 2000 DEBATE COVERAGE
     Watch Live on CNN
      • Debate preview, 8:30 p.m. EDT
      • The Vice Presidential debate, 9 p.m. EDT
      • Post debate wrap-up, 10:30 p.m. EDT
     From Tuesday's presidential debate
       Video of the debate
    Debate
    coverage
       Only on CNN

    In Other News:

    Live:
    • Watch now: Texas Gov. George W. Bush Watch it live   Real or Windows Media
    • Watch: Vice President Al Gore, 12:45 p.m. EDT  Watch it live
    • Watch: Shuttle launch and webcast with CNN's Miles O'Brien, 9:15 p.m. EDT

    Features:
        Shuttle set for 100th launch tonight, if weather permits

    CNN.com News Net   Top Sports News at CNNsi.com Top Business News at: CNNfn.com Weather:

    Visit the CNN.com weather section, or

    enter your U.S. Zip code:
    Click here for U.S. states or world cities
    NHL: begins 7:00 pm ET
    Philadelphia Flyers 0
    Vancouver Canucks 0
    Get all scores
       MARKETS
    56.90
    44.12
    1.11
    12:13pm ET, 10/5

    function email() { address=document.emailform.emailinput.value; location='http://www.cnn.com/EMAIL/index.html?'+address; }

    CNN Websites
    Networks image

    CNN e-store

    WORLD U.S.
          In-Depth:
          In-Depth:

       QUICK VOTE
    The vice presidential debate:

    Is of interest to me. I want to know the views of Cheney and Lieberman.
    Is not of interest to me. I'm mainly interested in the presidential candidates and their views.
    View Results

    POLITICS LAW
          In-Depth:
          Greta@Law:

    ENTERTAINMENT HEALTH

          In-Depth:

       FASHIONABLE FAMILY    MUSIC REVIEW
    A new book chronicles the ups, downs, glamour and greed of 'The House of Gucci'

    PERSONAL FINANCE CAREER

    COMPUTING SPACE

          In-Depth:

       CNNfn    CHAT THURSDAY
    1 p.m. EDT: Ari Schwartz on office privacy

    2 p.m. EDT: Aram Sinnreich on the future of online music

    3 p.m. EDT: CNN's Wolf Blitzer on tonight's debate

    NATURE TRAVEL

    FOOD ARTS & STYLE

        PICTURE OF THE DAY     LINK OF THE DAY
    Link of the day Space Program enters its Heyday!

    NASA's 100th Shuttle Mission Launches Today

    BOOKS FRINGE

    DISCUSSION DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA

       COMIC ARTISTRY    ON VIDEO
    In his work 'Jimmy Corrigan,' Chris Ware creates a beautifully drawn, elegantly poetic world
    Talking furniture, a blue dog and Steve

    A 'Blue's Clues' musical movie

    Back to Top   © 2000 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
    Terms under which this service is provided to you.
    Read our privacy guidelines.