From: Karim Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:56:08 +0000
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CASSAMANCE CONFLICT AND ITS GEOPOLITICAL IMPLICATION FOR
GAMBIAAND GUINEA BISSAU

The peace initiative of the Government of Abdoulie Wadda should be
supported by the sub regional Governments, Organization of African
Unity
and United Nation to bring peace to our Sene-Gambia region and Guinea
Bissau. The national democratic revolution been wage in the Senegalese
region of Cassamance has a serious geopolitical implication for Gambia
and Guinea Bissau. I have come across the political realities of the
war
in Cassamance during my one year assignment with Winrock International
and West African Rice Development Association funded research on
accelerated diffusion of rice technology. I was based in Bwiam in Foni
Kansala, monitoring on-farm rice varietal screening trials with small
scale women farmers.

These assignment gave me the opportunity to travel to most of the
areas
control by Movement of Democratic Forces of Cassamance (MFDC). The war
in Cassamance is ethnic directed and the rebel forces have no
political
direction and programs. The ATIKA as they called, are notorious for
cannabis sativa cultivation, looting, destruction of life and property
including the killing of women and children. The war in cassamance
have
de-populated region and make the areas inaccesible to development
agencies. Many of these rebels after after committing such crimes use
the Gambia and Guinea Bissau as their safe heavens because our borders
are perforated. The senseless war in Cassamance have further
marginalize
the people.

The manace of the conflict in Cassamance is the serious trend of drug
trafficking within our country. Because of access to the market in the
Gambia and Guinea Bissau, currently the major economic activity within
the region is predominated by cannabis sativa cultivation. In the
Gambia
today, hardly days goes by without citizens-incuding civil servants
and
police officers arrested in Bulock, Sibanor or Kalagi police check
point
with cannabis. In many occasions, rebel fighters from Cassamance were
also arrested in the Gambia with arms.

To consolidate peace in Cassamance, security should be intensive
within
bordering countries for the safe passage of people and properties. On
the part the government of Senegal, she should come up with effective
development programs for decentralization. It is a fact that the
people
of these part of Senegal are marginalize and have no access to social
amenities such as schools, roads nutrition and health delivery
service.
Cassamance is the natural resource base and bread basket of Senegal.

Another implication of the war in Cassamance an environmental
dimension.
Since the natural resource is control by MFDC fighters, there is a
serious intensive exploitation of the rich biological diversity of the
region due the high demand for charcoal, timber and fuel wood. The
unsustainable consumption of the forest resources is creating
condition
of dessertification, causing the people to further live on the edge.

if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to
write your full name and e-mail address.
------

---- End Original Message ----