The Independent
Feb. 20th, 2001

Lamin M. Dibba and Omar Bah
Banjul, The Gambia

The NRP leadership has confirmed that it will not put forward
candidates in the forthcoming by-elections in Central Baddibu and
Kiang East constituencies.

Speaking at the NRP bureau last Thursday the party's assistant
administrative secretary Njobo Baldeh, on behalf of the party leader
Hamat Bah who is in Taiwan said, the NRP's will not field candidates
in the two vacant constituencies whose former representatives were
killed in a car accident in January. Mr. Baldeh said Hamat Bah made
the decision before he left for Taiwan with the endorsement of the
NRP executive.

Asked why the party would not put up candidates for the by-elections
Njobo said it was too prompt and unexpected, adding that the NRP
leadership is engaged in other programmes.

He was quick to deny any suggestion that the NRP is in effect showing
solidarity with the UDP by not contesting for the constituencies. He
said the move should not be misconstrued as a ploy to lend more
weight to the opposition. "I have explained our problem already. We
shall contest in all other election coming, including, the local
government elections, presidential and national assembly elections.
We will cover all the constituencies and local government areas in
those elections," he indicated.

Speaking to The Independent later, Mr. Dullo Bah, a member of the
party's executive said the body would meet to discuss the issue.

Meanwhile after consultations with the people of Central Baddibu and
Kiang East, the executive committee of the UDP on Thursday endorsed
the candidacy of Lamin Dibba for Central Baddibu and Bakary Jarju for
Kiang East in the by-elections slated for March 31st.

Bakary Jarju who was a former employee of the KMC and now cashier at
Sun Shine Insurance Company told The Independent that as far as he is
concerned the United Democratic party is talking n terms of claiming
the Kiang seat and already 'Come what may by the 31st of March I will
be an elected National Assembly member. I will perform the duties
expected of a National Assembly member' he promised.

Mr. Jarju added that his opponent in the APRC ticket would "woefully
and miserably" lose his by-election deposit. Lamin Dibba the UDP
deputy senior administrative secretary and campaign co-ordinator was
selected among three UDP applicants who applied for the Central
Baddibu constituency. "I am already the successor of my late brother
and friend Abdou Karamba Kassama' he told The Independent.

A delegation comprising the chairperson of all the villages in
Central Baddibu confidently told The Independent that Lamin Dibba "is
already" an elected National Assembly member . 'We will give all the
support he needs for the by-election" they assured.

Members of the delegation vowed that even if Mr. Dibba should stay in
the Kombos, without campaigning, he will win "since everybody likes
him".

The delegation said Lamin's candidacy might be unopposed because the
ARPC is reportedly without a candidate yet.

A top APRC official recently said his party's executive would soon
meet to select candidates for the two vacant constituencies.

Copyright © 2001 The Independent. Distributed by allAfrica.com. For
information about the content or for permission to redistribute,
publish or use for broadcast, contact the publisher.