Gleaning from your writings, Mr. Ceesay, I am convinced you have not read the works of Diop.  Since when did I claim that everything he wrote was correct? You compare him with the Negritude writers - how little you know of the glaring differences between the Diopian camp and the likes of Damas, Depestre (L'enfant terrible!), and Senghore. He was one of the biggest critics of this movement!

About him not being an egyptologist, well one of these days IF I have time I'll send you his academic credentials. I also have a rare copy of the Melanin Dosage Test he perfected and used on the tiny bits of ancestral (mummy) skin the Cairo Museum of Antiquities was gracious enough to donate for this famous experiment. It showed the high melanin (black pigmentation) content of our ancestors (peace be upon them).

Interesting historical anectode: In 1974, UNESCO convened a meeting of scholars from all over the world in Egypt to finally lay to rest the many nagging questions about the origin and identity of the egyptians. Cheikh Anta and his protege, the linguist, Theophile Obenga (Congo) led the African charge against Europe's finest Egyptologists, Historians, Linguists, ... At the end of the session, Diop and Obenga were singularly commended as being the only ones 'truely prepared' for the event. Well whatever that means, the fact remains that UNESCO commissioned the 12 Volume work on the General History of Africa with C.A. Diop as one of the editors of the early volumes.

Also a reading of 'Cultural Unity of Black Africa' and 'Civilization or Barbarism' both by Diop should throw light on your unfounded claim that he was interested in connecting Egypt to West Africa alne leaving Southern Africa behind.

I just gave you a short reading list so we can have a basis for dialogue away from the passions.

About the Mande tid-bit, first your resentment is misplaced. Mande heritage belongs to you, me and all. Second, what are your arguments to counter my claims? Third, what is the resentment anyway?

Latjor