Many people making phone calls to The Gambia try all sorts of prep[aid calling cards, Internet to phone calls and prepaid call schemes in an attempt to save money.  Prepaid calling cards often have hidden drawbacks, such as expiry dates, call connection charges, call charges rounded up.  Prepaid schemes have been known to go out of business leaving you with credit which you never get back.  Calls via the Internet - well let's just say the quality isn't all you might expect, that is when you get through.

Well I have discovered Quip!.  Once registered with them on the Net you can makes calls from Britain to The Gambia at £0.35 a minute including VAT.   There are also big savings on calls to other International destinations.  You receive a bill on-line every month, and then the sum due is debited to your bank debit card, or credit card or by Direct Debit to a bank account.  The company is owned by British Telecom and Unisys , so I guess it might have a better financial status that some operators.

But the best thing is that is does seem a lot easier to get through to The Gambia using this service rather a prepaid calling card or one of the other low cost systems.  I am only speaking from personal experience of course, but I have used the system both during the day and evening and on most days of the week.  You don't have to access the system through a BT phone  (dial 0808 152 1000 from a non BT phone.)  Whichever phone you access from, the service number is toll free unless you are using a mobile.

There is also an added spin off.  If you sign up on line and quote my Quip! friend program number, I will get credited with £5 for introducing a new customer.  The new customer also receives a first 20 minute international call for £0.01 to one of 100 destinations including The Gambia.

For every £5 worth of calls I get credited with I will donate a similar sum in cash to an appropriate Gambian charity or non-governmental body operating in The Gambia.
Full details, including terms and conditions, are to be found at:

http://www.quip.co.uk

Remember to select the option on the application form to say A FRIEND RECOMMENDED QUIP
and quote Quip! Friend program number 1107869774 where requested.

The £0.01 first call offer ends on 30 April 2001.  I am not certain what happens if your first call is for more than 20 minutes, but I guess the answer is to keep it below 20 minutes!

I will report which charities/organisations have benefited, and by how much, in due course. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html You may also send subscription requests to [log in to unmask] if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to write your full name and e-mail address. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------