Jamila, thanks for your thoughts.  You are right, some of the behaviors exhibited by some members on the L is not one we should be proud of, and sometimes emotions get in the way of exchange of ideas and how we can make things better for the Gambia.  Having said that, I however, do not think that the majority of the members on the L are homogeneous in thinking and that we all for the most part act in a mob frenzy.  Some do, but for the most part I think there are a lot of people that subscribe that have the same leadership criteria that you eloquently described.

On the issue of the cry for a coalition, by virtue of our experience with elections in the Gambia, I believe that with the patron/client relationship between the government and the electorate, it is going to be very difficult for a single opposition party to win in the first round or create a run-off situation.  Moreover, most of us are afraid that the current regime may squeeze through with 50/51% of the votes if the opposition parties do not coalesce.  I do not wish for our people to go through another five years with this regime and I know our people do not want that.  However, it is very difficult for anyone to conclusively predict that if the parties contest individually in the first round that the APRC will not squeeze through by virtue of the split votes.  Thus, my appeal for the opposition parties to explore the feasibility of coming together under one banner for purposes of halting our speed to disaster - another five years with Yahya.  This does not mean that one party gets sidelined and another be the chosen.  They would discuss the modalities of achieving the one thing they all have in common - getting rid of the butcher.  Everything is workable and sometimes humans, putting their ideas together can achieve uncommon results.  If anyone can convince me that in a four party race, the APRC will not get 51% of the votes, then am all for the solo performance.  It seems to me that those of us on the outside seem to feel this way and the opposition parties concur that coalescing would greatly increase their chances of winning the first round.  However, until they agree to meet to discuss this important issue, we will never know whether they can or cannot agree on the issue.  In sum, it does not hurt to explore the feasibility with our very, very limited window of opportunity.  On that note I plead to the opposition parties to discuss this possibility with their Central Committees and then get together to give the idea of a coalition a shot.  I hope others can weigh-in, in this fruitful discussion.

Finally, I want to take this opportunity to remind folks that the Election Fund Drive is still on.  The opposition parties need your financial and moral support.  The elections are just four months away and they need to get their message out.  The kleptocrats are getting loans on our behalf to support their fraud effort.  Individually, we cannot shoulder the burden, but collectively, we can give them a winning chance.  Please support your country at its time of great need.  Jamila, thanks for adding value to the discourse.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou