Sanusi, thanks for your post.  Please read my most recent post on this issue.  I am on the side of the victims, Chongan included.  If you want to categorize my two examples are anecdotes that's fine by me, but as I said in my last post, I witnessed more than the examples I gave.  We camped at the Police Depot and I know what I saw there and the people that did it.  I commend brother Chongan for exposing the thugs, but I WILL also remind him of his victims, lest he forget.  If a know thief from the Jawara reign comes on the L to talk about Yahya's criminality and not talk about what they also did to our coffers back then, I will applaud him and also criticize him for the same offence.  Let's walk in the shoes of all victims and not just some.

Chi Jaama

Joe sambou

>From: Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: WHAT HAPPEN TO US AT RIP.
>Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:14:11 +0100
>
>Joe
>
>I hope you people understand that by focusing on
>Chongan's past record as a soldier/police officer only
>makes things difficult for us. If this is the approach
>then surely people like Sir Dawda K Jawara, OJ Jallow
>and many others cannot speak out about Human Rights
>violation in The Gambia, since we all know what
>happened after the events of July 1981.
>
>Chongan has only given us an account of what actually
>transpired at Mile II prison. I am sure if Ebou Colly
>had not taken the time and energy to inform us about
>the coup, no one would have heard from Chongan.
>
>In my view,the incidents which you have mentioned are
>entirely isolated ones. I agree with you that Chongan
>was not all that perfect as none of us are, but let us
>give this man some respect and treat him humanely. A
>person like Chongan ready to defy the coup plotters
>only goes to show the level of principle and
>"discipline instilled in him. How many other soldiers
>had defied their oath of service to the state by
>switching allegiance to an unlawful government? This
>is why I respect Chongan.He stood firm and if only the
>Gambia 10 of his types at that time, then surely July
>22 Coup would have been crushed.
>
>Ousainou Ngum
>
>Please note I am not a praise singer of Chongan. All I
>am saying is how brave he was to defy the junta and
>how sad it is that you cannot give him credit for
>that. If you have been a victim of Chongan's
>misgivings, then certainly try and forgive him, as he
>has suffered a lot for being a loyal soldier/police
>officer of The Gambia.
>To quote a phrase from APRC's Party Constitution
>National interest before Individual interest.-( HOW
>SAD IT IS THAT APRC CANNOT COMPLY THESE PRINCIPLES)
>Lets therefore encourage others to come out and
>elaborate on what actually haappened at Mile II
>prison. By the way, I just can't wait to hear Rtd
>Captain Sana Sabally giving us first hand information
>on how Sadibou Hydara died in custody. We do need to
>know these things in order to build a better future
>after October 2001.
>
>Come October 2001 Gambia must be free as Yahya must go
>
>Have a wonderful morning
>
>Sanusi.
>

>--- Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

Ous, thanks for your post. Chongan, what you guys

>went through was brutal to the soul and the
>perpetrators will be brought to book one day. Like
>Ous, however, I also want to call your attention to
>your recent past, prior to 1994. You were not an
>angel yourself and I hope you seek the forgiveness of
>your many victims. So many human rights violations
>were committed by you and your batch mates in the name
>of drunkenness from liquids, power, ego tripping and
>god knows what else. Among your victims at the Zonal
>Competitions in Sere-Kunda, I believe somewhere
>between 1982 and 1985, were Lokai and Badou Carayol,
>to name a few. Lokai in particular, you guys almost
>killed. You guys went bunkers on folks and were on
>skid row until 1994. I understand your position as a
>victim, but I also want you to remember your many
>victims, and I hope your treatment at the hands of the
>thugs would help you understand the painful nature of
>being victimized, not only the physical aspect but
>also on the mind. We have to be truthful to each
>other. You are my brother and I've known you for a
>long time and you have always been cordial towards
>me. However, an injustice to any Gambian by those in
>power is an injustice to all Gambians. This applies
>to all our brothers who were in the force and abused
>their authority. I hope we all learn from our
>youthful indigressions and pledge never again. Moving
>forward, thank you for joining your brothers and
>sisters in the struggle to free Gambia from
>tyranny.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

>From: Ousainou Ngum <[log in to unmask]>

>mailing list <[log in to unmask]>
>

>To: [log in to unmask]
>

>Subject: Re: WHAT HAPPEN TO US AT RIP.
>

>Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 20:33:08 -0700

>Mr. Chongan:

> It is indeed quite disturbing to learn
>about the terror you guys
>

>underwent while in detention immediately
>after the coup. I condemn such
>

>inhumane treatment towards any living
>being, especially when we're talking
>

>about millitary comrades.

> Notwithtanding, I just wanna "remind" you
>about your demeanor during the
>

>years prior to the coup. I see a
>hypocritical cry-baby when you have the
>

>balls nowadays to come out to the public
>and play the victim. You should
>

>revisit your bleak past thats shrouded
>with sadism and arrogance.

> I ain't get no beef; just that I thought
>it's prudent to remind a
>

>compatriot about his terrible past and the
>picture he's trying to paint
>

>about a gang of thugs who might even prove
>to be the better of two evils,
>

>had the tables turned around for a minute.
>I'm not trivializing the the
>

>gravity of the abuses you guys were
>subjected to. All I'm saying is that you
>

>were a worst monster during your years in
>uniform.

> You can try to spin this, but the fact
>remains that you are equally
>

>monsterous. I would have said the same
>thing about Ebou Colley if I had
>

>known him to have abused his powers and
>privileges of an Army officer. No
>

>hard feelings Bro, I also felt that it's
>wise to share my insight as you
>

>have just done. Take care.

>Ous Ngum.

>Send a cool gift with your E-Card
>

>http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

>To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives
>of postings, go to the Gambia-L
>

>Web interface at:
>http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html

>if you have problems accessing the web
>interface and remember to write your full name and
>e-mail address.

Get your FREE download of