Lers,
This being my first contribution, I wish to first begin by given a brief analysis of our present political situation.
The question I will first ask is : Who is best placed to replace Jammeh for these elections ?
Our present political parties are : PDOIS, UDP, NRP and the revived PPP. As for PDOIS, most intellectuals who have understood their manifesto do agree to side with them since the PPP era, but their inability to win the large gambian populace who have the power to put them in are yet to understand what PDOIS is and the party seems only contented in wining the hearts of few educated individuals around. Their time, therefore, is still not even around the corner. Could that be why they are not even hesitating to form a coalition ?
UDP, unfortunately for those who trusted them in the beginning, seems to drift away from positive politics. Their campaign, if not tribalist, is more of destructive criticism. They have probably forgotten they should present a positive and constructive manifesto to win the hearts of Gambians. They should have acted more of advisers rather than rivals to the Jammeh administration. Mr Hamat Bah has proven very vocal in assembly sessions but he lacks the image a ‘respected-to-be’ leader should have. He acts more like a clown. As for our PPP friends, it would have been better if the should think of joining the other parties. Or haven’t they found a better party to join ?
Lets now come to the APRC party. There is no doubt it is a party of soldiers. It is. Yahya would have been honoured or even idolised if he had chosen to step down after taking over the country. Which ever president had been elected would have showered on him respect and honour. But no ! He stayed. And like almost all juntas, he intends to stay forevermore. No amount of infrastructures built, well-rehearsed speeches or battle for international recognition, all in search of cheap popularity, would acquire him that honour and prestige he would love to have. Exactly like in Jawara’s era, all those flocked around him are fighting for their selfish interests. They are afraid to see themselves in the streets. Are they honest with their intentions. Thanks to Yahya to all he has done, but like his namesake in the bible- John – he should announce the coming of the next president and step down. That’s the way he can get honour and international stardom.

However, after all these analysis, who is best fit to be the « saviour » ?

Kurawel