Jabou,

I was equally concerned at the statement attributed to the UDP/ppp presidential candidate regarding the summary firing of civil servants who don party colors. But upon second and more careful reading, this is what I understood from it:

The position of civil servant, like that of president, is a position of agency. Their salary and authority comes from the collective voices and resources of the people. Their pay, authority, and fringe benefits do not come from any single party's treasures. At this moment in time, we do not have a president. We will decide that come thursday or friday. And absent shenanigans, we will have known the peoples' choice. So constitutionally, the president excuses him/herself from being an agent of the country. He/she must not make any trips overseas that bear on bilateral relations, the execution of any agreements in which he/she binds the honor and integrity of the Gambian people. He/she must not receive foreign representatives or dignitaries. He/she must actually vacate the State house to a place devoid of authority of popular agency (preferably on the campaign trail if he/she is vying for re-election).

As for the civil servants, the work of the nation's emergency services, law enforcement, commerce and industry, health, water, and sewerage must continue. From that recognition, civil servants continue to receive the authority of agency and its attendant compensation from the people with the caveat that they must not unduly affect or attempt to undermine the people's regime of taking stock and electing their choice of president.

We at PDOIS share the same belief and therefore the summary termination of civil servants who breach this simple but honest code of conduct is in line with the cleansing of corrupt governance and service delivery.

If indeed this was from the UDP/ppp presidential candidate, I am pleased that he is upfront with us and demonstrates that he, like PDOIS, is not interested in any 11th hour masquerading. He could have said it sooner. It would have been sweeter but better late than never.

Of course this explanation is from my point of view as understood from PDOIS' principles. But like you, It would be nice if the UDP/ppp comes up with their intent and rationalisation following such incendiary commentary.

God Bless.

Haruna.