MOVEMENT FOR THE RESTORATION OF DEMOCRACY IN THE GAMBIA (UK)

29 RADLEY HOUSE

WOLVERCOTE ROAD

LONDON SE2 9TW

Phone/Fax (0044) 020 8310 9168

Email: [log in to unmask]

22nd October 2001

The Movement for the Restoration of Democracy in The Gambia UK, takes this opportunity to first of all congratulate the Gambian people for the peaceful and orderly way in which they carried out their constitutional responsibility on election day. Though we are saddened by the one reported loss of life, which we believe could have been avoided, we are nevertheless encouraged by the absence of any serious violence during the election campaign.

We also commend the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) and its officials, for discharging their mandate as fairly as was possible under the circumstances, and under very difficult conditions. We hope that they will endeavour to exercise greater independence in the conduct of their constitutional task, and to urgently tackle the shortcomings that have been identified, as well as to address the concerns raised by the opposition parties in time for the next polls.

Following a hard fought election campaign, this episode in Gambia's attempt to restore democracy has been brought to a close. However it must be remembered that the process is an ongoing one that requires the energies and dedication of all Gambians, now more than at any time in the past, as we continue to strive for true democracy.

Now that the APRC has return, the Movement calls upon the government to protect the interests not only of its supporters but also of all Gambians, irrespective of their party affiliations or their political opinion, and to govern with evenhandedness, tack and respect for our common humanity. We congratulate the opposition parties for having fought a clean campaign based on the issues that affect the country. We now look forward to a period of reconciliation and understanding and to the enlargement of democracy in the Gambia.

Elections have been described as "Democracy's great feast". We hope that in the intervening period leading to the next round of elections, Gambians will be able to partake freely not only in that feast, but more importantly, in the preparation leading to that feast. As a nation we still have an opportunity to forge a new political order, based on democratic values and respect for the rule of law. As a Movement, we will continue to campaign for greater inclusiveness in the democratic process and for peace, prosperity and human rights.

Long live The Gambian People, Long live Democracy.

Jeggan Bahoum

MRDGUK

London