Friday, 2 November, 2001, 13:57 GMT
Gambia acquires an alphabet
Kaa Bully Nimaga with his Soni Alphabet
Mr Nimaga says he wants to be remembered for his alphabet
A Gambian businessman is so determined to see his countrymen speak their own unique language, he has invented his own alphabet.

Some people looked at my writings with scorn and thought I was engaged in an idle work. But others saw me as a promising person

Kaa Bully Nimaga
It's called the "Soni" alphabet, and its inventor Kaa Bully Nimaga calls it "my gift from God".

Mr Nimaga, director of the Nimaga African Arts Collection, said his 28-letter alphabet is exclusively Gambian.

He has adapted the alphabet to the Soninke language, spoken in parts of Mali, Mauritania, Senegal and the Gambia.

With no formal education of his own, Mr Nimaga plans to set up a school where Gambians can learn for free.

"I want to ensure that I leave something behind before I die that will be beneficial to the people," he was quoted as saying.

Gambia, one of Africa's smallest countries, is known for its tourism, and many Gambians speak English. Widely spoken indigenous languages such as Mandinka and Wolof are also spoken in neighbouring Senegal.

Childhood dream

His dream of inventing something useful has been with him since childhood, but its creation has been a struggle.

Nimaga African Arts Collection
He also runs a successful antique dealing business
"At the beginning, some people looked at my writings with scorn and thought I was engaged in an idle work," he told the BBC's Network Africa.

"But others saw me as a promising person."

His business collecting and dealing in African antiques is successful and takes the 43-year-old across Africa and the United States.

But it is the success of the Soni Alphabet that drives Mr Nimaga.

"I want to share with people my gift from God," he said.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
Kaa Bully Nimaga
Listen to the alphabet
See also:

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to more Africa stories