FROM THE MIMBAR OF HOLY HARAM IN MAKKAH AND MADINA
(Friday, November 23, 2001)
PERFORM MIDNIGHT PRAYERS (Qiyam Al-Lail),
OBEY PARENTS AND CARE FOR POOR.
IN MAKKAH
SHEIKH Saleh Bin Humeid, Imam and Khatib of the Holy Haram in Makkah, advised Muslims to fear Allah and strive to gain His favor by doing good deeds, glorifying His names and thank­ing Him for the bounties He has given us, and being kind and merciful to His creatures.
While delivering his Friday Khutbah on November 23, 2001, he urged Muslims to perform Salah regularly as it is an im­portant pillar of Islam. He also urged them to perform night prayers (Qiyam Al-Lail) regularly with patience. He fo­cused on matters that facilitate night prayers, including remembering Allah all the time and having abundance faith in Him as well as staying away from sins and sedition. The worshiper should be keen to keep his heart clean from ha­tred or jealousy and stick to the Proph­et’s traditions (Sun­nah).
Sheikh Bin Humeid dealt with the ethics that must be observed in night prayers. The worshiper should prolong the recitation of the Holy Qur’an, su­jood and ruku and try to pray as many rakats as he can without exhausting himself. He should be diligent to glori­fy Allah and supplicate to Him as much as possible.
The Sheikh said the present era is the most violent, bloody and destruc­tive of all the past eras of humanity. It is a paradox that draws one’s attention that such acts are taking place when man has reached unprecedented levels of culture, science, education and in­ventions. Despite these developments in all fields, this era remains the harsh­est, cruelest and most violent. This strangeness disappears when a Muslim recalls and reflects on the Qur’anic verse: “They know only the outside ap­pearance of the life of the world (i.e. the matters of their livelihood, like irri­gating or sowing or reaping, etc.), and they are heedless of the Hereafter.” (30:7)
Piety and reform in this blessed month is through righteousness of the hearts, their attachment to Almighty Al­lah and full submission to Him in prayers and obedience. A Muslim should have sincere and strong belief in Allah in order to stand steadfastly be­fore the sweeping waves and currents.
MADINA
Meanwhile, Sheikh Abdul Mohsin Al-Qasim, Imam and Khateeb of the Prophet’s Mosque in Madina, called upon Muslims to fear Allah
In his Friday Khutbah, Sheikh Al-­Qasim said that the holy month of Ramadan is a great season for Muslims, especially since the Holy Qur’an was revealed during this month – the month of fasting, night prayers, for­giveness and giving alms to the poor. He said that Ramadan is the most hon­orable month to Allah.
He urged Muslims to do a lot of good deeds, including worship, and Iti­kaaf (living in seclusion for worship in the mosque), extending financial assis­tance to the poor, the needy, widows, orphans and other weaker sections of the society, providing food to those who are fasting, performing Umrah, glorifying Allah frequently, supplicat­ing to Him, especially at the time of breaking one’s fast and during the last third part of the night while performing the Tahajjud prayers, asking for Allah’s forgiveness (Istighfar), being dutiful and obedient to one’s parents, being kind to wife and children, always keep­ing in touch with kin, and inquiring about one’s neighbors. He pointed out that among the greatest deeds after cor­recting oneself is to call people to Allah and working hard in guiding them and correcting their conduct.
Sheikh Al-Qasim said that if with the advent of Ramadan a Muslim is still committing sins, disobeys his parents, does not care for his kins, nor does he help his Muslim brethren and goes on backbiting others, then he will not ben­efit from the holy month. Muslims must watch their words and deeds and take the initiative to reform and correct themselves. They should keep away from ill-gotten money because it is a cause for tribulation in this life and the Hereafter and with it supplication to Al­lah is not accepted. They should always beware of the deeds and words that Al­lah has forbidden us from, take the ini­tiative to repent. Furthermore, they should have no despair about Allah’s mercy.
THE HOLY QURAN:
151. Say: "Come, I will rehearse what Allah hath (really) prohibited you from": Join not anything as equal with Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want;- We provide sustenance for you and for them;- come not nigh to shameful deeds. Whether open or secret; take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom.
152. And come not nigh to the orphan's property, except to improve it, until he attain the age of full strength; give measure and weight with (full) justice;- no burden do We place on any soul, but that which it can bear;- whenever ye speak, speak justly, even if a near relative is concerned; and fulfil the covenant of Allah. thus doth He command you, that ye may remember.
153. Verily, this is My way, leading straight: follow it: follow not (other) paths: they will scatter you about from His (great) path: thus doth He command you. that ye may be righteous. (Surah 6 verses 151-153)
35. For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah.s praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward.
41. O ye who believe! Celebrate the praises of Allah, and do this often;
42. And glorify Him morning and evening.
43. He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers.
44. Their salutation on the Day they meet Him will be "Peace!"; and He has prepared for them a generous Reward.(Surah 33 verses 35,41-44).
HADITH:ON TAHAJJUD PRAYER:
Narrated Ibn Abbas(RA):
When the Prophet(PBUH) got up at night to offer the Tahajjud prayer, he used to say: Allahumma lakal-hamd. Anta qaiyimus-samawati wal-ard wa man fihinna. Walakal-hamd, Laka mulkus-samawati wal-ard wa man fihinna. Walakal-hamd, anta nurus-samawati wal-ard. Walakalhamd, anta-l-haq wa wa'duka-l-haq, wa liqa'uka Haq, wa qualuka Haq, wal-jannatu Han wan-naru Haq wannabiyuna Haq. Wa Muhammadun, sallal-lahu'alaihi wasallam, Haq, was-sa'atu Haq. Allahumma aslamtu Laka wabika amantu, wa 'Alaika tawakkaltu, wa ilaika anabtu wa bika khasamtu, wa ilaika hakamtu faghfir li ma qaddamtu wama akh-khartu wama as-rartu wama'a lantu, anta-l-muqaddim wa anta-l-mu akh-khir, la ilaha illa anta (or la ilaha ghairuka). (O Allah! All the praises are for you, You are the Holder of the Heavens and the Earth, And whatever is in them. All the praises are for You; You have the possession of the Heavens and the Earth And whatever is in them. All the praises are for You; You are the Light of the Heavens and the Earth And all the praises are for You; You are the King of the Heavens and the Earth; And all the praises are for You; You are the Truth and Your Promise is the truth, And to meet You is true, Your Word is the truth And Paradise is true And Hell is true And all the Prophets (Peace be upon them) are true; And Muhammad is true, And the Day of Resurrection is true. O Allah ! I surrender (my will) to You; I believe in You and depend on You. And repent to You, And with Your help I argue (with my opponents, the non-believers) And I take You as a judge (to judge between us). Please forgive me my previous And future sins; And whatever I concealed or revealed And You are the One who make (some people) forward And (some) backward. There is none to be worshipped but you . Sufyan said that 'Abdul Karim Abu Umaiya added to the above, 'Wala haula Wala quwata illa billah' (There is neither might nor power except with Allah).
SOURCE:SAHIH BUKHARI Volume 2, Book 21, Number 221:
2.Narrated 'Aisha(RAA):
Allah's Apostle used to offer eleven Rakat and that was his prayer. He used to prolong the prostration to such an extent that one could recite fifty verses (of the Quran) before he would lift his head. He used to pray two Rakat (Sunna) before the Fajr prayer and then used to lie down on his right side till the call-maker came and informed him about the prayer.
Source:SAHIH BUKHARI:Volume 2, Book 21, Number 223.
3.Narrated Abu Huraira(RA):
Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) said, "Our Lord, the Blessed, the Superior, comes every night down on the nearest Heaven to us when the last third of the night remains, saying: "Is there anyone to invoke Me, so that I may respond to invocation? Is there anyone to ask Me, so that I may grant him his request? Is there anyone seeking My forgiveness, so that I may forgive him?"
Source:SAHIH BUKHARI:Volume 2, Book 21, Number 246.
DU'A(SUPPLICATION):
Allah. There is no god but He,-the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede in His presence except as He permitteth? He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures as) before or after or behind them. Nor shall they compass aught of His knowledge except as He willeth. His Throne doth extend over the heavens and the earth, and He feeleth no fatigue in guarding and preserving them for He is the Most High, the Supreme (in glory).
Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;
Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
And there is none like unto Him.
Say: I seek refuge with the Lord of the Dawn
From the mischief of created things;
From the mischief of Darkness as it overspreads;
From the mischief of those who practise secret arts;
And from the mischief of the envious one as he practises envy.
O Allah ! shower blessings on Sayyidina Muhammad - such blessings by means of which You may deliver us from all anxieties and calamities, You may satisfy all our needs,You may cleanse us of all evils, and You may grant us high rank and status in Your Presence,and You may lead us to the limits of our aspirations and capacities,in whatever is good in life as well as after death.
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;
Most Gracious, Most Merciful;
Master of the Day of Judgment.
Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.
Show us the straight way,
The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray. Ameen.
SPREAD THE MESSAGE OF ALLAH
With the very best of good wishes,
Musa Amadu Pembo
Glasgow,
Scotland
UK.
Da’wah is to convey the message with wisdom and with good words. We should give the noble and positive message of Islam. We should try to emphasize more commonalities and explain the difference without getting into theological arguments and without claiming the superiority of one position over the other. There is a great interest among the people to know about Islam and we should do our best to give the right message.
May Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,guide us all to His Sirat Al-Mustaqim (Righteous Path).May He protect us from the evils of this life and the hereafter.May Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,grant us entrance to paradise .. Ameen