Yus wrote:

"The main pt in separating religion from state is to give the citizens of a state the assurance that the ruling body of said state assumes that all citizens are equal regardless of religion. I think this is a fundamental pt that DR. Jah has completely missed".

Yus, whereas I do not share your opinion that Dr. Jah Jr. has missed the point completely, I totally agree with you that religion should not be a major determinant has to how we are governed.

The reason I don't think that Dr. Jah Jr did not completely miss the point is based on the fact that the guy has made a good case of his assertion that secularity is not applicable to entities such as states, based on the fact that states cannot reason per se. He has also argued very well that secularity, as defined, cannot be applicable to Muslims in particular, and some other religions in general. Again he based his arguement on the meaning of secularity, which has no accomodation for religion, culture and other traditions.

To me, it seems like it is case of yes or no, black or white etc. In my opinion if, like he has adequately pointed out, Gambia cannot be secular, then we ought to find an appropriate word or words to gurantee that nobody can use religion as a way of governing us. The separation of religion and state is very important and as such, should not left ambiguous. It should be made abundantly clear to all and sundry that people have a right to follow whatever religion they wish. I also strongly believe that we all have a right to worship or not to worship, sin or not to sin and that nobody should be allowed to play God. The fact that there is a day of judgement; and that Allah would be the only judge coupled with the fact that where ever one finds him/herself, would be staying there indefinitely is sufficient deterrent for people to make up their minds as to whether to worship or not.

Finally, I want to come to the conclusion that unless we enact laws that protect the rights of minorities and safeguard our rights not be governed based on any religious doctrine, then we have a problem. There had been many instances when deviants massacred, tortured and humiliated people all in the name of religion. The Taliban is a case in point.

Have a good day, Gassa.

PS: It is times like this that I really miss Hamjatta.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-