>From: "Sukuna, Christine" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Celebrating or Participating in Holidays of the Disbelievers
>Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:05:36 -0600

I, being the only muslim in my family, do go to my parents place where they of course celebrate Christmas, birthdays, etc. Although I do not believe or celebrate these holidays myself, I do respect them in their choice as they respect me in mine.
Educate me if you may...this totally out of trying to understand Islam. Is it forbidden to celebrate birthdays or is this just your choice?

Perhaps I may be doing them an injustice by supporting them instead of doing Dawah but I do not wish to cause my family chaos or hurt feelings. I think Allah will forgive me, at least this is in my hopes. I still believe in the deepest part of my heart that there is only one way, which is Allah's (S.W.T.) way and this is not to be debated.

I agree that there only one God too and which ever way one chooses to reach him/her...more power to them. I personally celebrate every holiday that comes my way, and I must say I went to a "Gamo" a few months ago and found it very informative and educating. I don't term someone who doesn't believe in Christianity as a "disbeliever". I respect everyone's religion and I don't think it's mine or nothing...I find that very narrow-minded. I know I'll be bombarbed with emails but hey, that's my two cents worth!

Astrid Christensen

Thank you,
H. Sukuna