Thanks brother Malamin for bringing some light to what I tried to say in respect to the subject of Halal and haram  food items or drinks. I am definately not propogating practicing or participating in any RITUALS of our cousins ( Christians or Jews) ( No one means to practice rituals  if they just say merry Christmas or Hannukah) and  as regards to our good relationships with neighbors whether they are Christian or muslim they have the first rights/claims  to you that even your own blood relatives who live a mile away from you.We must respect them and share our beliefs with them in an appropriate manner, not stay away from them or critize them. Remember we are part of the community just as they are too and they are all God's creation as we are too . No one is better than the other even if they are non muslims. We cannot judge people just on the surface , it must be deeper than just mere perceptions. We have muslims who have the worst habits  and commit sins similar to shirk knowingly in many countries. I would  prefer to have  a Christain neighbor who practices his religion as ordained  than a muslim one who does not. ( reason at least practice what you preach) Remember the prophet (pbuh) never expected the whole world to be muslims ( he mentioned that he would be satisfied /happy even  if half would be mumins) Ah lil Kitab (people of the book) says  a lot of what we are today and what we were yesterday. Exceptions are Buddists or hindus or  pagans who worship idols and do not believe in One God. The companions  of one of the greatest prophets Jesus the son of Mary had each written their own NEW testaments / interpretations of Christ, who never mentioned anywhere in the old testaments that he was God . Yes We are all sons of God and he is our father who arth in heaven. Jesus (pbuh) said so but he did not say I am God.We should try to explain this  NOT condemn them. Tolerance & patience are  almost equal to prayer.

Yes there are many conflicting views . In my opinion many of them depend on the scholars who try to interpret them and their cultural backgrounds. What is acceptable in Indonesia may not be a norm in Saudi  ( like in weddings where men and women mix together in the actual celebrations whereas in Saudi NO one from the opposite sex even the parents of the bride and groom are seen together) . There are some gray areas that only you must investigate by your self in good faith and research . Frankly many people think the Sunnah of the prophet means all the complete Hadiths we now have but I beg to differ because there are conflicting explainations from the different scholars  and we have some weak hadiths that may not be  authentic. Thsi is a long subject so I will not get into that now.

Bottom line and lastly when ISLAM is and muslims are refered to remember the basic meanings they carry- Peace and followers who practice peace . This includes Abraham ,Moses ,Jacob John, Josepth ,Zakaryah ,jesus and finally Mohamed ( peace be upon them all) The total number of prophets who were sent to mankind is 313. We believe in all of them and their messages and Mohamed the last on was the seal who got the final book the holy Quran directly from the angels.

I offer my apologies if I have offended any of you as no onee is perfect nad I am no different.

Habib