L-ers, you recall some weeks ago when Alhagie Mbye was in the news? Well, he has made front-page news in The Daily Observer for a different reason. Please read on.

Have a good day, Gassa.

INDEPENDENT REPORTER FIRED – Editor alleges professional misconduct.

Culled from the Daily Observer of Friday January 18, 2002.

Sources close to the bi-weekly Independent newspaper, have revealed to the Daily Observer that Alhagie Mbye, senior staff reporter for the paper, has been relieved of his function.

Our sources alleged that Alhagie Mbye had been engaging in activities incompatible with his duties, thus putting the reputation of the newspaper and country at stake.

According to reports, Alhagie Mbye traveled to Dakar in Senegal late December 2001 but prior to his peregrination, he was alleged to have extorted D3, 300 from a Lebanese businessman, promising to help him secure official documents.

It was further alleged that Alhagie Mbye named one permanent secretary in The Gambia as his close friend who was willing to help him secure some documents for the Lebanese businessman.

It was also alleged that after he had succeeded in extorting the sum of D3, 300 from the said Lebanese businessman, he proceeded to Dakar without obtaining permission from the management.

Sources further disclosed that upon arrival in Dakar, Alhagie Mbye sent a fax message to the management of the Independent newspaper, alleging that the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) had wanted to kill him.

It was also disclosed that whilst in Dakar, Alhagie Mbye visited the West African Journalist Association (WAJA) offices and also granted an interview to a Senegalese newspaper La populaire, claiming to be the Editor-in-chief of the Independent newspaper.

In the interview with both la populaire and WAJA officials in Dakar, Mbye painted a negative picture of the domestic politics and human rights situation, the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), security operatives, among others.

Furthermore, Alhagie Mbye insisted that he would be jailed if he comes back to The Gambia and would therefore appreciate assistance from international press associations like Reporters sans frontiers to help him.

Meanwhile, when the Daily Observer contacted The Independent’s offices to ascertain the veracity of Alhagie Mbye’s claims, the managing editor of the paper, Alhagie yorro Jallow said: “the Independent Newspaper stands for the truth. We cannot work with somebody who tells lies.

My role is to preserve the integrity of the paper, I cannot work with him, he cannot use the paper for his own personal interest. Mbye is a criminal,” Alhagie Yorro Jallow alleged.

However, efforts to contact Alhagie Mbye proved unsuccessful but our sources disclosed that he is currently in the country.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-