Thursday, 31 January, 2002, 19:05 GMT
Tunisian dream ends
Diallo also kept out another good effort two minutes later - AFP
Senegal keeper Omar Diallo saved a penalty in the second half
Group D: Senegal 0-0 Tunisia

Tunisia have had the worst possible build up for the World Cup later this year being knocked out of the Nations Cup in the group stage, without scoring a goal.

The Carthage Eagles even missed a penalty early in the second half in a match which eventually ended in a dreary goalless draw.

Senegal, who were already assured of a place in the quarter finals, had little to play for.

Tunisia crashed out wihtout scoring a goal.
The dejected Tunsian team walk off the pitch
The Lions indifference was evident from the start as they took to the field with 10 changes from their previous group encounter against Zambia.

And they certainly lacked the flair of previous matches allowing Tunisia to dominate for large parts of the game.

However the North Africans will rue their lack of finishing in this match, which was coach Henri Michel's second successive Nations Cup exit in the group stage.

Tunisia had the best of the early stages with Imed Mhadhebi coming close after 23 minutes.

The striker was well set up in the box by Zoubier Beya but Mhadhebi's shot sailed narrowly over the bar.

Ten minutes later the strike duo paired up again, with Beya this time having his shot stopped by a nervous-looking Senegalese keeper, Omar Diallo.

Fortunately for the Lions Diallo shook off his nerves to keep them in the match in the second spell.

Just one minute into the half Mhedhebi was brought down in the area by Pape Diop and referee Domenico Messina had no hesitation in calling for a penalty.

But to the surprise of many in the stadium youngster Slim Benachour stepped up to take the spot kick.

His effort was hard and low but Diallo read it brilliantly moving to his left and tipping the shot around the post for a corner.

Just minutes later Diallo again denied the Tunisians as Jaidi fired in after a goal mouth scramble.

It was Tunisia's last real effort of the match and soon realised their dream was over.

Senegal now go on to play DR Congo in the quarter final in Bamako on Monday

next

Thursday, 31 January, 2002, 19:02 GMT

Egypt's hopes revived
Some of Egypt¿s travelling fans in Mali
A solid win for Egypt - but they now face Cameroon
Group D: Egypt 0-0 Zambia

Egypt have advanced to the quarter-finals of the African Nations Cup with a comfortable 2-1 win over a gallant Zambian side at the Modibo Keita Stadium in Bamako.

Both sides should have scored more goals but poor finishing, especially by the Zambians, kept the scoreline down.

But the North Africans will be perfectly happy with their performance and the result.

The return of Hossam Hassan, who has been absent from Egypt's squad as he sought treatment for an injury, has given the Pharaohs a new sense of purpose.

We have a problem with scoring - and in a tournament like this when you get that many chances you have to score
Zambia's coach Roald Poulsen
Zambia were too elaborate in front of goal, opting to play one pass too many instead of shooting.

It was frustrating to watch for Zambia's coach Roald Poulsen.

"It was the same story as we've had throughout the tournament - we were creating opportunities but we were not executing, failing to score the goal," the experienced Dane said.

"We had to score the goal in the first half, but we didn't get the luck and maybe we have to blame ourselves. We have a problem with scoring - and in a tournament like this when you get that many chances you have to score."

Late chance

It was Egypt's Ajax Amsterdam striker Ahmed 'Mido' Hossam who got the first goal in the 35th minute when he beat the offside trap after a good through ball by Hazem Emam.

Mido managed to regain his footing after being impeded by Zambian goalkeeper Davies Phiri to tap the ball into an empty net.

Emam himself gave Egypt a cushion with a second goal in the 57th minute when he was played through by Mido.

Zambia's coach Roald Poulsen is frustrated at their lack of scoring ability
Poulsen needs a striker
The slightly built midfielder's shot was helped over the line by Zambian defender Moses Sichone but Emam claimed the goal.

Substitute Gift Kampamba gave the Zambians a glimmer of hope when he squeezed in Hilary Milanzi's low free kick in the 75th minute.

Hossam Hassan had a great chance to increase Egypt's lead when he received a square ball from Emam.

However, Phiri did well to dive to his left and turn the bull behind for a corner.

Egypt may well feeling confident after the ease of their win.

But they face Cameroon in the quarter-finals and they will have to find far more skill, guile and power to beat the Indomitable Lions.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
Adrian Hobart reports for BBC Sport
"Gradually Egypt's greater class showed"

See also:

30 Jan 02 |  Cup of Nations
Clockwatch: African Nations Cup
30 Jan 02 |  Cup of Nations
Supersub Boakye sends Ghana through
18 Jan 02 |  Cup of Nations
Nations Cup tables and fixtures
30 Jan 02 |  Football
Ghana and SA advance
Links to more Cup of Nations stories are at the foot of the page.