Unfortunately, I have been unable to partake in the discussions concerning various topics because of several factors among which was the attendance of a 40-day charity away from home.

First of all I wish to express my condolence to all the bereaved families of the boat disaster that occurred some days back.

What I understand about the accident as was reported in The Sunday Observer, is that one of the boats, a relatively big one, left Banjul and was heading towards Senegal with several people and goods after coming to Banjul for their Idul-Adha (Tobaski) shopping. After some time it ran into problems, which was noticed by people at the Barra end. Another boat was sent from Barra to the rescue of the first boat. Unfortunate this boat was smaller than the one in trouble and panic stepped in, I guess. The rescue boat fearing that it might capsize pulled away with those who were lucky to board. This boat on arrival at Barra end struck a rock and split in two. The people in that boat were helped to shore and they explained the predicament of the rest. The Senegalese and Gambian navies went to the rescue and managed to rescue some while others disappeared. It seems that after the first rescue boat left the scene, the boat in trouble began to sink. So far, about nineteen people have been confirmed dead, about 48 rescued and some 39 or so still unaccounted for.

The Banjul – Barra Ferries.

Currently there is only one Ferry plying the Banjul – Barra route. This is a new ferry that was bought only a few years ago but which has been seriously over used. Prior to the purchase of the Barra ferry there were two others, Banjul and Niumi. Unfortunately both of these have been withdrawn from service because they are said to be not sea worthy.

Last year the GPTC that used to run the ferry services bought a second ferry from Holland and the delivery of this ferry is expected within the next few weeks.

In another development, the government announced a few days ago that it had signed a $7 million contract with a ship building company in Kiev, Ukraine, for the construction of two Ferries and a 6,000-tonne floating dock for the Banjul Shipyard. Delivery of the floating dock and ferries are expected before the end of the year.

RFI FM station to be commissioned tomorrow.

Tomorrow would witness another milestone in the history of our country. President Jammeh, accompanied by President Wade and other senior officials, is expected to commission two FM radio stations. One of the stations is a commercial FM station to be run by GRTS and the other is to be run by Radio France International (RFI). Most of RFI's programmes would be coming directly from France via satelite.

The government of France financed the whole project, including installation. Each of the stations would have its own one Kilowatt transmitter with a third one Kilowatt transmitter acting as a backup transmitter in the event that any of the other two transmitters is down. For the foreseeable future, the French government is to provide training for GRTS staff and a yearly subvention of 13,000 Euros for the upkeep of the two stations.

Sanusi Owens:

I was going to repeat the questions that I had asked you earlier concerning your recent trip to the country but have decided to put them on hold as Musa Jeng has resumed his narrations about his recent trip. This is so as not to pre-empt him or confuse the whole issue. I will pose those questions to you later when he has finished his narrations.

Amadou Kabir Njie wrote: "so you went with the ridiculous notion that if you come at me with a knife I should find a knife exactly the same size as yours to retaliate?

Non sence! If you come to me with a knife don't be surprised if I come after you with a tomahawk in response. YOU invited it".

Amadou Kabir, as long as our families are not brought into it, feel free to use your tomahawks. I still maintain my earlier stand that the reason you want to stay mute about your recent trip to The Gambia is out of fear of being attacked by people like “chainsaw wielding” Dampha if you as much as whisper about anything possitive about the country. I shall be bringing up this issue again as soon as Musa Jeng is done with his narrations. As people are not gaining much from this futile engagements and associated vulgarity, I will be confining my responses to you at the end of my posts if I have any contribution to make on issues being discussed. And don't be under any illusion that I cannot be equally vulgar!

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-